Community discussions

MikroTik App

inquiery
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Winbox glitch

Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:40 pm

For quite some time now, I'm having problems with Winbox. When it started happening (I think it was more than a year ago), I thought it could be only a glitch that would be patched in a next revision of Winbox. But the problem persisted by all winbox updates.

The problem I face is when trying to move items around, ot change columns width. When I click on an item of a lista (any list, could be firewall filter/nat/mangle, routing filters, etc) and release the mouse button, even without moving the mouse, the item I click would be thrown up or down on the list to an arbitrary position, and if I try to move the item to a new position of my choosing, the "line" that tracks the position where the item will be places (the line that follows the mouse) jumps down or up to a places not where the mouse cursor actually is.

When trying to change columns width, I click on the column divider line and move the mouse. The columns is constantly resized to a minimum width (away from mouse cursor) or to the maximum avaliable width on the window (again, away form mouse cursor).

I searched google about it, and even the forums here, couldn't find any information about it. I asked around other people, from other ISPs that uses Winbox, and some report they have the same issues, others don't.

If anyone have gone throught something like it and have an ideia how to solve it, I would appreciate. It is not something the prevent me from using Winbox, but it surelly make things hardar than they should be.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Winbox glitch

Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:10 pm

Are you using it on windows? Or another OS with WINE?

Never had the problem with Windows - but have had 'similar' problems on WINE based installs (such as on my Ubuntu laptop) - nothing as bad as your describing - but generally updating WINE to the latest stable tends to help especially if you haven't done-so for a while.

inquiery
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:54 pm

I'm using Windows 10.

I have no ideia what is causing it, and the problem persisted even through SO reinstalations.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:16 am

Is this on a laptop using a trackpad?

If so - does the problem still happen if you plug in a mouse and try that way?

inquiery
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:09 pm

It's on a desktop PC, with a mouse.

inquiery
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:10 pm

I've been doing some more testing this morning.

I have some CCR1009 that I don't frequently access with Winbox, and they don't show the same glitch. Those CCR1009 are used for internet networking, in the office. In the other hand, I have another CCR1009, in a remote site, that runs PPPoE server and have some PPPoE clients connected, and this one shows the same glitchs as I described.

I also have 3 CRS317-1G-16S+ (they are used as switch only, a single bridge with all ports in), and none of them glitchs.

The routerboard that have the glitchs seems to be those that I use to access with Winbox more frequently, and those I access rarely, seems to be Ok.

inquiery
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:38 pm

Did some more experimentatio.

Untill now I have just accepted the glitch, never took the time to test things out.

I found out now that the glitch only occurs when the window Interface is open, and each time that the interfaces refresh it's data, if I am holding the mouse button down to move a item or resize a column, the item will jump somewhere away from the mouse, or the column will resize to minium size (like 10 pixels larga) or to the full size of the window.

It's something to do with the refresh code of the interface window that generates the glitch.

bofhgr
just joined

Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:25 pm

I am a new user to the Mikrotik world. Recently took the plunge with a CRS 328 and waiting on my ac2 and cap ac, audience and others to upgrade all the networks! :D

However I am experiencing this exact issue and it's EXTREMELY ANNOYING! I can't resize columns in any window without messing it up and having to spend more time to fix. In firewall rules, it simply moves rules up and down all the time, it's buggy as hell!

I agree with your experiment and it indeed seems to be due to the winbox UI refreshing. I cannot find a solution to it, and since few people have reported it, maybe it only affects winbox when connecting to specific devices. I am waiting for the new Mikrotik devices to arrive to confirm if this bug exists with other devices than the CRS 328.

Will post again here when I can confirm the bug, but how would you suggest we can report this to Mikrotik in order to get a fix? Is reporting in these forums enough or is there a bug report form to submit this ?

n1am
just joined

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:36 am

Did some more experimentatio.

Untill now I have just accepted the glitch, never took the time to test things out.

I found out now that the glitch only occurs when the window Interface is open, and each time that the interfaces refresh it's data, if I am holding the mouse button down to move a item or resize a column, the item will jump somewhere away from the mouse, or the column will resize to minium size (like 10 pixels larga) or to the full size of the window.

It's something to do with the refresh code of the interface window that generates the glitch.
You're right. Thanks for the insight.
This glich is extremely dangerous, you can accidentally lock yourself out moving the firewall rules.

mercutio
just joined

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:56 am

has anyone found a workaround for this bug yet?

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 01, 2021 10:54 am

You can use Winbox v3.20 which does not have this bug.

It has been reported since 2020 (v3.22 - or even earlier than that), and after multiple version updates it still hasn't been fixed.
viewtopic.php?p=780024#p780024

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 01, 2021 11:05 am

In my case it happens when the BGP Peers window is open.
The interfaces window doesn't cause the glitch for me.

dmayan

Fri May 28, 2021 8:40 pm

Happens to me on 3.27 / Win10 x64

Neighbors window. It's nearly impossible to resize a column.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 28, 2021 9:27 pm

Never experienced this. Just tried every example cited in this thread and could not duplicate it on a RB750r2 or RB750Gr3 - both running 6.48.2 and WinBox 3.27 on a Dell desktop running Windows 10.

pcexpert
just joined

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:26 pm

I'm also having this problem!

My observations:

For me it only happens on x86 RouterOS Mikrotik (updated to latest stable still the same).
Have a lot of rb4011 and CCR2004 all working ok.

This needs to be reported!
I cant manage device with newer version of winbox!

A9691

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:58 am

The problem I face is when trying to move items around, ot change columns width.
I experience the same problem, but only with Winbox 3.28 + ROS 6.47 + bridge window open.
The mouse drag "jumped" exactly when data in the bridge window was updated.
When the bridge window was not open, mouse drag worked fine. With ROS 6.36 did not matter
whether the bridge window was open or not.