MikroTik App

LuizMeier
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Can't get IPv6 SLAAC on router under another router

Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:27 pm

Hi!

I have a setup with to mikrotiks, one conected to internet and another onte on another room, connected by an ethernet cable.

The router connected to internet works fine. It gets the prefix from ISP and advertise it to other devices I get. My PC, raspberry and smartphone can get the IPV6 address and use it.

The problem is with the seconde router. When I put the DHCPv6 client to get an address it does not get it. I've tried by prefix and address and nothing happens. Any hint that I could use?

ISP Router
/ipv6 address
add address=::1 from-pool=pool-copel interface=bridge-local
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=pppoe-copel pool-name=pool-copel pool-prefix-length=63 request=prefix

Client Router
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=bridge-local pool-name=pool-casa request=address
Last edited by LuizMeier on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can't get DHCPv6 on router under another router

Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:40 pm

Your other devices are likely using SLAAC to set their addresses. The Mikrotik DHCPv6 server implementation will not hand out addresses, only prefix and/or other configuration. Without the DHCP server or ND configuration it is difficult to say what is wrong.

LuizMeier
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:14 am

I'm not using DHCPv6. Don't know why, but there is no output to ipv6 nd export.

The IPv6 address is with the flag Advertise on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LuizMeier on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:44 am

I'm not using DHCPv6. Don't know why, but there is no output to ipv6 nd export.
You may want to edit your screenshot, you forgot to erase the IPv6 address in the title bar.

You will find the answers here: viewtopic.php?p=798589#p798589

and here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=162802

In other words, your second device may be getting an address, depending on the IPv6 forwarding settings, but you won't actually see the address in IPv6->Addresses and the route in IPv6->Routes. It is like your router has a secret public IPv6 address and route it is not showing you. It is confusing to people in such scenarios because it may look like your router doesn't have a global IPv6 address and default route, when it actually does.

LuizMeier
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:34 pm

Hello!

Thanks for the hint. I will follow that thread and check if they will get it fixed.

Also, I changed the subject to SLAAC.

adlar
just joined

Re: Can't get IPv6 SLAAC on router under another router

Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:53 pm

Hi!

I have a setup with to mikrotiks, one conected to internet and another onte on another room, connected by an ethernet cable.

The router connected to internet works fine. It gets the prefix from ISP and advertise it to other devices I get. My PC, raspberry and smartphone can get the IPV6 address and use it.

The problem is with the seconde router. When I put the DHCPv6 client to get an address it does not get it. I've tried by prefix and address and nothing happens. Any hint that I could use?

ISP Router
/ipv6 address
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=pppoe-copel pool-name=pool-copel pool-prefix-length=63 request=prefix

Client Router
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=bridge-local pool-name=pool-casa request=address
I have the same problem. The router1 which is connected to ISP got ipv6 address. Other devices such as laptop and iphone got ipv6 too. But the router2 which is connected to router1 did not got ipv6 address. Have you find a solution?

jousedelano
just joined

Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:26 pm

Hi!

ISP Router
/ipv6 address
/ipv6 dhcp-client

Client Router
/ipv6 dhcp-client
I have the same problem. The router1 which is connected to ISP got ipv6 address. Other devices such as laptop and iphone got ipv6 too. But the router2 which is connected to router1 did not got ipv6 address. Have you find a solution?
Have you find a solution?

akakua
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:01 pm

Set on "client router" -
ipv6/settings/set accept-router-advertisements=yes

jousedelano
just joined

Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:23 pm

Set on "client router" -
I have already enabled it but does not work

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:54 pm

Set on "client router" -
I have already enabled it but does not work
As explained in another thread, thusly acquired IPv6 address is not visible in ROS ... but it's there and works.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:56 pm

jose, how many topics are you gonna hijack?