Community discussions

MikroTik App

nikolayzhelev
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik RB962UiGS and Cisco WAP371 Issue over PPPoE link

Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:19 am

Hi guys,

My ISP is providing me 500/500 mbps speed over PPPoE tunnel via fiber link. A GPON device located at my premises is connected to port 1 of my Mikrotik RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT running RouterOS v.6.48.1.

On port 4 of my Mikrotik Router, via straight through Cat 6a cable I’ve connected Cisco WAP371 (1300 mbps on 802.11ac). The access point is powered by external power adapter 12V 6A, no PoE.

My issue with this setup is when I’m connected to 5Ghz radio and perform an external Speedtest, I get 1000 ms ping latency, 0.9 mbps download speed and 1.4 mbps upload speed. When I move to 2.4 Ghz I get 17 mbps download and 24 mbps upload speed with 1 ms ping latency.
I performed LAN iperf test via my 5 Ghz link and the LAN speed is 500 mbps, so no issue on my LAN.

When I connect my laptop to my Mikrotik router via a cable I get 500 mbps download/upload speed on speedtest.net.
When I activate my Mikrotik AC WiFi adapter I also get full speed without any problems.

Just for the test I took my whole setup including the Cisco WAP371 and connect it to different ISP link, providing my public IP via DHCP server, not PPPoE tunnel. The problem was gone, full speed was available via Cisco WAP.

I did try to clamp tcp mss to pmtu - that didn’t help either. Changing the mss in the forward chain in mangle didn’t help either.

Do you have any idea is there anything I can do to adapt the Cisco WAP371 to my PPPoE link? I think the problem is related to the TCP public traffic only, because I noticed, that when I stream 4K Youtube video via CiscoWAP it’s running smooth and nice, but the Youtube webpage is loading very slow - about a minute to completely load.

Has anyone experienced similar issue with external APs?

Kind Regards,
Nick