Community discussions

MikroTik App

drevil23
just joined
Topic Author

Moving from rb3011 to rb4011

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:34 am

Hi everybody,

I've been reading quite a lot these days, because I'm going to swtich my old trusty rb3011 to a rb4011. Lately, I've added IPSEC tunnels, and the cpu get maxed out before I can hit my link max. (1 Gbps)

Now, I'm trying to find a way to export everything I've inputted in my rb3011, over the years, to my rb4011, settings, scripts, passwords, ip chains, etc, and I read that the backup files are not compatible between series and that I need to do an export.

After a very long time going through the menus of webfig, I just can't find where is this "export to file" button... To be honest, I do everything I can to avoid CLI and ssh, I've been able to do everything I needed from the beginning using solely the Webfig, and I'd rather keep it that way. Oh and you need to know that I'm a Linux user, so I don't use Winbox, and that I'd rather copy everything by hand instead of using the CLI.

Anyone know how to do this from webfig?

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Moving from rb3011 to rb4011  [SOLVED]

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:41 am

Go to Webfig -> Files -> "Backup" button -> click it -> download the file that appears. If you want an easily editable script: Go to Terminal -> /export file=your-name-here -> Files -> download your file. You'll need to do the second option if you're moving everything to the RB4011 as the first one only works for the same exact device.

drevil23
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Moving from rb3011 to rb4011

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:12 am

So basically, as I was saying, no webfig option, only CLI.

Thanks, I'll try, but I hate how it end up writing "export xport file ..."

Anyway to turn off auto completion? There is a reason I hate CLI, or anything typed in, I need to look at the keyboard to type, it's a real pain when you try to see why a command won't work, only to find out some part of words are "doubled"

Or even better, anyway to paste text in there? Terminal on Mikrotik webfig page won't allow me to paste, and I can't figure out why.

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:12 am

For pasting, I would try Ctrl+V or using an SSH client that allows me to either click to paste or use the keyboard shortcut. I don't think you can turn off auto-completion.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:48 am

Right click in winbox. Copy and paste works fine and won't trigger auto complete.

drevil23
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:35 pm

Thanks guys.

I've disabled SSH because I was getting hit all the time with someone trying to brute force my ssh port. I could activate the service as I require it, but to be honest, I'm afraid I would forget it open at some point.

As for Winbox, when are we getting a Linux edition? As I specified in the original post, I do not have any Windows computer at home, not even in a virtual machine, and Winbox doesn't play nicely with Wine... I left Windows at Windows XP and never looked back since.

I'll probably ssh everything offline then hook it up to the internet...

Any pointers as to how to import the config to the RB4011? Any file modification needed?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:54 pm

Based on your remark about ssh service I strongly advise you to start configuring RB4011 from defaults ... and not by blindly copying settings from old 3011. Reason: recent ROS versions come with pretty sensible defaults (which blocks pretty much everything from WAN). Only add things you really miss.

drevil23
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi mkx,

Actually, even if my router is old, it's still was running the current stable RouterOS version. (6.48.1)

But I tried importing everything in it, and after a couple hours trying to find the source of all the error codes at import, I decided to open both router webfig side-by-side, and simply copy/paste each settings by hand, ended up taking less time than trying an import.

So yeah, basically, the export/import between models is not up to par yet, and if you don't know exactly what each settings do, why if fails, and don't want to spend hours looking through forums, trying and failing over and over, splitting the import files in chunks to figure out where it fails, copy and pasting is the way to go.

There should be an easier way to do that, don't get me wrong, I love my router, when it works properly, but everything is over-the-top complicated and really not user friendly at all, next time, I'm going back to a Watchguard firebox, everything is GUI, everything is easy to setup, and you don't need to know all the inner workings of the OS of the router itself to get it to work, it just does, plain and simple.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:56 pm

I'm glad you made your RB4011 work as you want ... regardless the way you managed it.

Actually, even if my router is old, it's still was running the current stable RouterOS version. (6.48.1)

The problem with old devices is the following: even if they are regularly upgraded to recent ROS version, the configuration is not changed (unless there's some incompatibility where upgrade process tries to convert the offending part of old config to the new one). So if your old firewall rules were based on defaults from an old ROS version, they are partly outdated. In old times there were many tutorials floating around to make firewall better than default, but quite some were overly complicated and poor at the same time. If one did not know what he was copy-pasteing (which includes most of us at some point of time), then there are easily some holes in the firewall.

drevil23
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:20 pm

You're totally right about old firewall rules being a compatibility problem, I had it in the past when I upgraded the firmware, at some point, 6.46 if I remember correctly, I had to redo all of those rules as they would make my router crash and become unresponsive. I had to do a hard reset and I had to restore a backup each and every time I tried to upgrade the firmware. but it took few minutes before it crashed.

I finally figured out, after a couple of days without internet at home that it was those rules that crashed the router, so I reset the default, again, brought back the backup, again, removed all the firewall rules, except the default ones, and no more crash, I then proceeded to put back each rules one by one until I found out that a few culprit were not compatible anymore, redid those rules with a "newer" format, and I was up and running again. Those are the rules that I'm running in my RB4011 right now, BUT, they are mostly only for port forwarding and masquerading these days, no more rules to patch services that didn't work at the time ;-)

Like I said earlier, it's sad that this product is not more user friendly, or don't have a "basic" mode which allows you to do basic rules in your firewall and such, like pretty much any other router on the planet, the hardware is sound, the product is good and well built, but it's really "niche", simplifying the user interface would go a very long way to attract more conventional customers, exactly like some linux distros did over time, and more customers means more profits and better products down the line.