Community discussions

MikroTik App

ramirez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

No access to MT after WinBox reset

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:57 pm

At a remote connection where 2 Mt’s are connected on a modem, I had to reset via Winbox settings of one MT. At that location, I don’t have physical access and although I thought (after the reset) it would automatically receive an IP from the running DHCP server (Modem) well, I lost access to it…

I had someone perform a hard reset, so I know it's completely blank (still not getting an IP).

I also have there a raspberry (Raspbian) to which I have remote access.

The weird thing: I can see (through ISP modem) giving an IP address to that MT: 192.168.0.153

I have tried to access it via WebFig (Raspbian) @ 192.168.0.153 : No access
I have tried to access it through Raspbian terminal (MacTelnet) : No access
I have tried to access it through terminal of second MT through mac address: no access.
I have tried to access it via SSH putty: No access.

Now because I don’t have a WinBox there to run a neighbors search (I believe if I could run it, I would be able to access it), has anyone any idea as to what might be going on/how to access it?
I believe the address it would get after the reset (if no DCHP was running) is 0.0.0.0 but like mentioned, I can see it getting a 192.168.0.153 and cannot access it through its mac address via the above steps.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: No access to MT after WinBox reset

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:10 pm

The firewall in the default configuration blocks all access via the WAN port to the Mikrotik itself.

ramirez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:24 pm

That MT has only one physical Ethernet port, is that considered as a WAN port in the default/initial configuration after a reset?

Also, I was under the impression that after a rest there are no firewall rules present in the filter rules ...

hmmmm

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:04 pm

Is it a wAP? It is a while since I used one but I recall that they can only be configured via the WiFi connection (this may be different in newer firmware).

It depends if you select 'No default configuration' or not in the device reset process. As the device is acquiring an address via DHCP it would imply there is a configuration present.

ramirez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:32 pm

It is a Map Lite .

No I did not check the keep old configuration.

I was under the impression that with the latest ROS versions when a reset is performed then a DHCP client is automatically present ...I may be wrong though ...

But how do you explain the fact of a present IP and I cannot access it neither through it nor through mac address ?

Edit: when it was purchased and installed at the site it did take automatically an address through the DHCP server on the modem ...that's I thought a reset would turn it back to that initial state...

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:57 pm

The default config should be Home AP for this device. This means the ether1 is WAN and wlan1 is LAN. The default firewall rules only allow access to the mAP from LAN. You will have to have someone connect to the wireless of the mAP with a device that you can remote into to be able to reconfigure it.

You should use NetInstall to replace the default configuration to be what you require. This way when the reset button is used, it will be reset to your configuration.

ramirez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:05 pm

But how can you connect to the wireless side of the Map Lite when you cannot access it via ethernet to configure SSID , other parameters of it and its password ?

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:12 pm

It should have a default SSID MikroTik-######(last six octets of wlan1 MAC) with no password.

ramirez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:26 pm

Hmmmm ...didn't know that :-)

Well in that case how do you explain getting an IP automatically (out of the box) and me being able to access it through the ethernet connection (the first time ) ?

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:37 pm

The User Manual from product page:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/UM/mAP+lite

Depending on age of the device, the earlier ROS versions may not have had all the safe guards in place or pre-configured differently from a more up to date version. Or possibly had been configured by someone else previously. I would be just guessing though.

ramirez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:03 pm

OK here it is (in case anyone faces the same in the future) ...

2frogs was spot on! Up until now I have had experience with MT's (4 Ethernet ports or more) , also I had performed software and hardware reset to these devices with previous ROS versions (the one running on this particular Map Lite is 6.48.1) .

So in these previous versions and/or because of more than 1 Ethernet ports available after a reset, the unit was accessible via mac address through WinBox...why am I saying was ???

Luckily enough I had a spare Map Lite at my present location and decided to replicate the "problem" . I accessed it through my LAN and performed a Winbox reset, when it came back I tried to look for it through "neighbors" feature and ...It wasn't there, it wasn't being discovered!

Then I performed a hard reset via the button on the back, when it came back with power, still it wasn't being discovered through WinBox ! Tried it a couple of times to no avail.

And then, the magic moment came: having in mind what 2frogs mentioned about WAN, LAN and WiFi I looked @ my available wireless networks and voila... there was a Mikrotik device transmitting a signal. Clicked on it, left the password empty, and got connected to it! After that I was able to see it through WinBox mac address, and was able to access it ! A screen came up asking whether to keep or discard the configuration and after I discarded it and then was able to see it through the Ethernet port (it was connected straight to my laptop via the Ethernet cable - while I was accessing it via wireless) .

My only concern now (regarding the remote attempt to the MT in question) is whether or not by connecting the raspberry wirelessly to it (MT) I will lose the remote connection to the raspberry itself! Raspberry is connected on Modem via ethernet...

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:51 pm

It depends if you configure the wireless connection on the pi to have a default gateway, or indeed IP address if you are going to use MAC access.

You could probably run something along the lines of sleep 120; reboot & on the pi so any volatile configuration changes, i.e. just issuing direct commands rather than updating config files, get forgotten when the pi reboots. If you don't loose access you can kill the background process to stop the reboot.

ramirez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:09 pm

Hmmmm without knowing how to do it :-) it makes sense what you're saying . Will do some research and hopefully figure out a safe way to do it ...

P.S. When you say to configure the gateway for wireless, Pi has the 192.168.100.151 , you mean to set a static gateway of the pi ?

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:57 am

If your other MikroTik device has wireless and is in range, you could setup a virtual wireless interface in station mode with a dhcp-client on it. Then use the telnet tools to access the other device.

ramirez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:17 am

:-) Again what you say makes total sense! Just because I 've never tried it before (yes it is in range the signal) can you dictate please steps/advice regarding the virtual wireless?

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:37 am

In testing I have found that creating a virtual station on a wlan with ap bridge works sometimes and not others (I have done ap bridge on mode station many times with out issue.) Maybe a better solution is to just use the wlan as station temporarily.

1. Make export of current config and save it somewhere safe.
2. Create a Security Profile with mode None.
3. Disable entry for wlan1 in Bridge>Port.
4. Create a DHCP-Client for wlan1
5. Go to wlan1 in Wireless and Scan for other MT, then select and Connect. (You may have to select the Security Profile you created after you click Connect)
6. Use Tool>Telnet to connect to other device.

You will only need to disable the default firewall rules to gain direct access to the mAP.
/ip firewall filter remove [find comment~"defconf"]
This should do the trick.

ramirez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:59 pm

Well, that did the trick !

Followed the instructions and was able gain access to it through the ethernet port .

Much appreciate it 2frogs!!!

I have no idea how to place a [SOLVED] tag on this post , but indeed has been resolved :-)