Community discussions

MikroTik App

ToddChester
just joined
Topic Author

Why can't I make my hEX lite into a router?

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:40 pm

Screenshot_2021-03-18_19-05-17.png
Edit: I am not sure why the attachment I added is not showing. The post makes no sense without it. Here is the attachment on imbgg:
https://ibb.co/Gd973B8

Hi All,

I am trying to user a "MikroTik RB750r2 hEX lite" as a router. The unit can ping anywhere and successfully upgraded its OS. But when I try to ping out from a workstation, I get

$ ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.218.1 icmp_seq=2 Redirect Host(New nexthop: 192.168.250.1)

And the client does get a DHCP address from the hEX Lite, but I have to unplug the WAN cable, or I get an address from the DSL modem providing the WAN connection.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks,
-T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Why can't I make my hEX lite into a router?

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:00 pm

It looks like you connected WAN cable to one of LAN ports. WAN port in default configuration on Mikrotik is ether1 port (the left-most port), the rest are LAN ports.

If this doesn't seem to be the problem, please provide the textual export of configuration. You can get it following these steps:
  1. open terminal window
  2. execute command /export file=anynameyouwish hide-sensitive
  3. fetch resulting file to management computer
  4. open the file using text editor and copy-paste contents here ... inside [code] [/code] environment

ToddChester
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:47 pm

I connected my DSL modem to the left most port, labelled "Internet". I connected my workstation (Fedora 33) to any of the rest of the ports (tried them all, except the Internet port).

I am using winbox through Wine (I can not figure out how to open a terminal to the box).

I notice that the thing thinks I am in bridge mode, not router mode. I can't figure out a way to change it to router mode.

I have pressed the magic reset button and powered back on several times. Same result after the Quick Config.

I will not have access to the device until Wednesday next week. I will double, double, double check I got the cables in the right holes.

Thank you for the help!
Last edited by ToddChester on Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:57 pm

I absolutely dislike (and would like to use another word...) Quick Set, but there is an easy solution:

System > Reset Configration > Reset Configration

This will reset the device to router.

[Update]
Why do you think it is in bridge mode? You can see that your WAN port is in another network segment from the LAN part. Pretty sure it is in router mode.
Last edited by erlinden on Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:58 pm

In the left part of winbox you have "New Terminal" icon ... click it and you'll get CLI access.

A question: after you set device into router mode, did you do any changes in any other configuration parts? The thing is that quickset can't understand anything done outside it's very limited scope, after changing anything anywhere else you should never ever go back to quickset.

ToddChester
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:06 pm

Why do you think it is in bridge mode? You can see that your WAN port is in another network segment from the LAN part. Pretty sure it is in router mode.
I am not in front of the device, so I can't give the exact wording, but several of the categories (Network? Interfaces?) say "Bridge" at the top.

ToddChester
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:53 pm

A question: after you set device into router mode, did you do any changes in any other configuration parts? The thing is that quickset can't understand anything done outside it's very limited scope, after changing anything anywhere else you should never ever go back to quickset.
The first time, but I pressed the magic button several times and redid the quick set. I look at various menus, but the made no sense and I could not find any of the setting that Quick Set did, so I did not change anything, several times.

Is this router meant to be this difficult to set up? I set up "a lot" of routers.

erkexzcx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:04 am

Is this router meant to be this difficult to set up? I set up "a lot" of routers.
To be honest, I don't really understand what's the point for Mikrotik to provide "Quick settings" in the first place.

Remove all the default configuration (reset the router with "remove-defaults=yes") and set up everything from scratch. Problem solved.

ToddChester
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:37 am

To be honest, I don't really understand what's the point for Mikrotik to provide "Quick settings" in the first place.

Remove all the default configuration (reset the router with "remove-defaults=yes") and set up everything from scratch. Problem solved.
Will do.

Just out of curiosity, where is the winbox setting to tell it your want it to be a "router" not a "bridge"?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:07 am

There is no secret setting which completely changes personality of a ROS device. What Quickset setting "router" does it preloads device with certain set of rules. If you wanted to, you could manually configure those starting from no settings (which is what @erkexzcx was suggesting). What many users do is they set their device to certain mode which almost matches their needs and then tinker with settings towards configuration which exactly matches their needs.

What you could do is to perform factory reset, use quick set to select certain device personality. And then leave quickset mode (forever) and go through various configuration sections and try to understand them. When you get acquainted, start to make changes you need.

rodpp

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:13 am

It seems you are not familiar with the RouterOs yet. It's very powerful but with a steep learning curve. It's better to start with the very basic working before attempting changing configurations.

I suggest you to reset the router to the default configuration: [System]->[Reset Configuration]->[Reset Configuration]. Do not check any option.

Your router will restart. Wait and do nothing more.

After the restar your router will have the following default configuration:

AP Router
This type of configuration is applied to home access point routers to be used straight out of the box without additional configuration (except router passwords and wireless keys)

First Ethernet is always configured as WAN port (protected by a firewall, enabled DHCP client and disabled MAC connection/discovery). Other Ethernet ports and wireless interfaces are added to the local LAN bridge with 192.168.88.1/24 address set and configured DHCP server. In the case of dual-band routers, one wireless is configured as 5 GHz access point and other as 2.4 GHz access point.

List of routers using this type of configuration:

RB 450,751,850,951,953,2011,3011,4011
hEX,PowerBox
mAP
wAP,wAP R (without LTE card)
hAP
cAP
OmniTIK
CRS series with wireless interface

Now, connect your Internet link to the first port (Internet) and your computer and other devices to the other ports (ether2-5). Check if it is working before changing any further configuration. And dot not use the Quick Set, ask here if you need additional configurations.

ToddChester
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:51 am

Thank you. I will get back with the results next week.

ToddChester
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:29 pm

Hi Guys,

You were right about the quick set being a nightmare. Everything settles down after a reset, but would not work properly if I changed the default IP. The address pool, which as far as I can tell, is only configurable from the command line, kept giving out the default .88 addresses. I eventually figured out how to change the default pool to the one I configure with the DHCP Server, but it took a while. The pool is not administrable from the DHCP Server window. And it did not survive a reboot.

I have spend 5 hours of lost billings on the device. The configuration is too complicated and has too many bugs in it to reasonable administer. It should have a simple web interface with a single screen to set it all up. The command line if fine for the adventurous, but it is completely unreasonable to have to learn an whole new operating system to administer the thing. And there is no possible way I am going to give this to a customer who I have to coach over the phone to administer the it.

I eventually pulled the plug and tossed the unit in the trash. I should have know better the very instant I found that MikroTik did not supply tech support. I will try the Ubiquiti Edge Router to see if that administers any better.

You guys have been absolute stellar in helping me with this. I wish things had worked out better.

Many, many thanks,
-T

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:34 am

I eventually pulled the plug and tossed the unit in the trash. I should have know better the very instant I found that MikroTik did not supply tech support. I will try the Ubiquiti Edge Router to see if that administers any better.
Oh that is simply the MT weeding out process designed for folks with no patience, really really slow learning curves, or the inability to research a device before procuring it, or if its for business, the lack of ability to know what one doesn't know and hire a professional to setup a network instead of doing it oneself, (next time if your thinking of doing brain surgery, don't go out and buy a scalpel, suggest seeing a doctor).

If you decide to get the unit out of the garbage, and come back by all means, luv to help, otherwise still dig the unit out of the trash and at least donate it to a needy family or church or something.
(note to self: I should add wasteful personalities to my list above.)

ToddChester
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:59 am

Interesting how you amplified placing a band aide on to a scratch into brain surgery. There is ZERO reason for MikroTik to have made this device so unnecessarily and obnoxiously complicated to administer. It would have been different if the quick set had worked, but it did not. Every thing I need to configure was in the quick set. And the menus were missing things, like the pool settings in DHCP server. Add to that, a reboot dropped several of the settings. I definitely would not what MikroTik doing my brain surgery. I could have bought 10 of these things with the lost billing hours I put into it -- you can not accuse me of not putting in the effort. I should have only had to spend 20 minutes on it. And MikroTik clearly has no intention of fixing or supporting their stuff. Reminds me of the Netware days where things were made way over complicated so consultants could bleed their customer dry (NT cleaned their clock). What a train wreck. Unit stays in the trash.

The only two positive things to come out of this was admiration that MirkoTik made sure the Windows utility worked in Wine and the graciousness of which folks on this forum were willing to help. Man the guys on this forum are stellar stand up guys!

By the way, I have been doing networking over 30 years. I have a TON of experience. The problem is the buggy, overly complicated, unfinished administration utility. Lack of networking knowledge has nothing to do with the problems I experienced. And, I might add, would someone please tell MikroTik that you can't be both a DHCP Server and a DHCP Relay at the same time.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:42 am

It would have been different if the quick set had worked, but it did not.
Exactly. Don't come to Ireland for nice weather, and don't buy Mikrotik for simplicity. Both have other advantages.

Quickset is an attempt to add the simplicity by allowing to set up only the basics, but everyone's perception of "basics" is somewhere else.

Can't comment on bugs in Quickset as I don't use it.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:05 am

1. Very interesting that quickset did not work. With what you describe, it should have worked out of the box, if you plugged the cables correctly.
2. MikroTik does have technical support over email / portal.
3. Yes, there is a learning curve, but not in your case. It should have worked even without any config applied

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:48 am

3. Yes, there is a learning curve, but not in your case. It should have worked even without any config applied
Thus is true. Been working with network for 30 years and RouterOS was/is a steep hill to climb. But when you first get hang of it, you will love it.
You can do nearly anything with this small cheap devices. Forum is here as well to help out.

To test our stuff, you can download EVE-NG and add virtual MT routers to it. There you can test VLAN/Routing +++++

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:40 pm

Thus is true. Been working with network for 30 years and RouterOS was/is a steep hill to climb. But when you first get hang of it, you will love it.
You can do nearly anything with this small cheap devices. Forum is here as well to help out.

To test our stuff, you can download EVE-NG and add virtual MT routers to it. There you can test VLAN/Routing +++++
Thats a damn fine idea Jotne, a virtual router for new users to play with, that zaps the user, figuratively when they try to change quickset LOL.
That way people can try stuff and worry free before they get their hands real dirty. DOES MT have any test routers people can use online for such purposes??

hey jotne, do you have a CHR in Magrathea that you can add a few script to for me??

ToddChester
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:58 pm

Hi Normis,

Yes the cables were correct.

1) quick set had everything I needed in it, but gave me an end around confusion loop:

$ ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.218.1 icmp_seq=2 Redirect Host(New nexthop: 192.168.250.1)

2) using system reset, as recommended by the forums, worked perfectly, but only for the default settings. I needed my own IP Network settings, which Quick Set allowed for.

3) IP, Master DHCP setup configured the requested address pool, but used the default pool instead (I had changed to IP network to an address I needed). I had to go into the command line to find the issue and switch the pool back to the requested pool.

4) IP Master DHCP had zero setting to configure the pool or to even list the the values

5) system, restart (not reset) DROPPED the WAN settings, but kept the LAN settings.

I wasted five billable hours trying to get this to work. I could have bought ten of these things for the lost revenue. Had Quick Set worked correctly, it would have been 20 minute job at the most.

I do understand what you are trying to do with your software. It is very highly configurable. What is missing is that it is incomplete and defective in areas. What you have actually created is a "Rube Goldberg" device.:

https://www.rubegoldberg.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg
Reuben Garrett Lucius Goldberg (July 4, 1883 – December 7, 1970), known best as Rube Goldberg, was an American cartoonist, sculptor, author, engineer, and inventor.
Goldberg is best known for his popular cartoons depicting complicated gadgets performing simple tasks in indirect, convoluted ways. The cartoons led to the expression "Rube Goldberg machines" to describe similar gadgets and processes.
Please understand that I appreciate the help -- you guys have been stellar -- but I can not sell a Rube Goldberg product like this, especially since I am expected to coach users over the phone with it. That you provide no tech support does not help either. I am trying out a Ubituiti router to see if they configure any better. They at least they have a chat line. Unit stays in the trash.