MikroTik App

molham777
just joined
Topic Author

CRS328 Bonding With Vlan Filtering

Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:26 am

Hello .
Could you please help me

I Have CRS328 with Enabled Vlan Filtering and I Make port 1 &2 Bonding to CCR1036 on port 1 &2
/interface bonding
add mode=802.3ad name=bond1 slaves=ether1,ether2 in CCR1036 and CRS328
then I added Bond1 to briadge with HW offloading in CRS328

now the problem
In CCR1036 I have 2G in download and 1G in Upload the upload goes from ether1 only
what is the problem how can I get 2G/2G

many thanks

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS328 Bonding With Vlan Filtering

Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:15 am

This is a limitation of bonded interfaces in general, not Mikrotik specifically. The lane of the bond used is determined by transmit-hash-policy, the default is layer-2 so all traffic will use the same lane for one destination MAC address. Changing to layer-2-and-3 only uses the same lane for one destination MAC + IP address which may help depending on what your traffic is. There is also layer-3-and-4 which also uses the TCP or UDP port to further differentiate traffic, however this is not not fully 802.3ad compliant.

molham777
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:22 am

This is a limitation of bonded interfaces in general, not Mikrotik specifically. The lane of the bond used is determined by transmit-hash-policy, the default is layer-2 so all traffic will use the same lane for one destination MAC address. Changing to layer-2-and-3 only uses the same lane for one destination MAC + IP address which may help depending on what your traffic is. There is also layer-3-and-4 which also uses the TCP or UDP port to further differentiate traffic, however this is not not fully 802.3ad compliant.
Many Thanks Dear
So If I use 802.3ad there is a limitation the result is 2G Down/1G Up
note when I used layer-2-and-3 the bonding not working at all

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:21 am

It all depends on the destination MAC and IP addresses of your traffic in each direction. There should not be a problem with layer-2-and-3, did you change the setting at both ends?

If the traffic is not suited to distribution over the lanes with either layer-2 or layer-2-and-3 you could try using mode=balance-rr instead, but this can result in out-of-order packet delivery and is not generally recommended.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:23 pm

It all depends on the destination MAC and IP addresses of your traffic in each direction. There should not be a problem with layer-2-and-3, did you change the setting at both ends?

transmit-hash-policy does not have to be the same on both ends, as name hints it only affects Tx direction.
Using layer-2-and-3 helps (compared to layer-2) if bond connects to router (many different dst-addresses behind router's MAC address which) or in some cases where server serves multiple IP addresses bound to same NIC (this is not the case with VM hypervisor where usually VM NICs use distinct MAC addresses). In other cases use either mode balance-rr as @tdw suggested (beware that CRS3xx can HW offload only modes ballance-xor and 802.3ad) or 802.3ad with transmit-hash-policy=layer-3-and-4 (which might cause some problems, read this detailed article about bonding).