Community discussions

MikroTik App

achris223
just joined
Topic Author

IP blocks ping

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:08 pm

Hi!

If an IP blocks ICMP (i.e. ping) is there a tool in MT I can use (not traceroute) to safely check if the IP responds?

Thanks!

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IP blocks ping

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:19 pm

If that IP is assigned to an L2 interface and your Mikrotik has an interface in the same LAN segment, you can use ARP to see whether the device responds (:ping arp=yes interface=xyz)

If some process is running at that IP that responds on a TCP or UDP port, you can try to send a packet to that port and see whether you get any response (/tool sniffer shows you the response if it comes, /system telnet x.x.x.x port=yyyy can be used to send a TCP SYN packet, and resolve server=x.x.x.x port=yyyy can be used to send a UDP packet).

achris223
just joined
Topic Author

Re: IP blocks ping

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:25 pm

If that IP is assigned to an L2 interface and your Mikrotik has an interface in the same LAN segment, you can use ARP to see whether the device responds (:ping arp=yes interface=xyz)

If some process is running at that IP that responds on a TCP or UDP port, you can try to send a packet to that port and see whether you get any response (/tool sniffer shows you the response if it comes, /system telnet x.x.x.x port=yyyy can be used to send a TCP SYN packet, and resolve server=x.x.x.x port=yyyy can be used to send a UDP packet).
Hi Sindy. Unfortunately the IP is external and I need a way to measure the latency by a script. I'm trying to automate the process so that I don't need to be awake 24/7 :D