MikroTik App

Guscht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

DHCP: MAC vs. Client-ID

Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi,

I found something interesting, if I specify for a DHCP-Lease the MAC and the Client-ID, it seems only the Client-ID is used:

Zwischenablage.jpg

Please see, the "MAC Address" ...AB:68 is specified, but the ...AB:6B is the "Active MAC Address". In this case the Client-ID for all Interfaces is the same.
I thougt if specified the MAC AND Client-ID must match, but it seems if a Client-ID is specified, the MAC is not considerated anymore?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DHCP: MAC vs. Client-ID

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:18 pm

DHCP server only cares about Client ID. Client ID is value supplied by DHCP client when requesting DHCP lease. It usually does contain MAC adderss, but it can be some other identification. Client ID can be of 3 types: text, integer number and MAC address.
MAC address, shown by DHCP server, is FYI only. It shows MAC address of NIC which communicated with DHCP server. In case DHCP relay is used, DHCP server will see MAC address of DHCP relay for example. I'm not sure what's the difference between "MAC Address" and "Active MAC Address" though.