Community discussions

MikroTik App

ottavio
just joined
Topic Author

PCC with two routers

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:34 pm

In my current situation I have a RBD52G-5HacD2HnD that gets a public IP address from the ADSL model with PPPoE. Everything is fine. Now, I want to add another link, to be fault tolerant and to try to get more available bandwidth and I am thinking about buying a RBSXTR&R11e-LTE6 .

I see two possible scenarios for dealing with the two devices:

Scenario 1
                       +------------------+ PPPoe Public IP address         +------------+
                       |                  |---------------------------------| ADSL modem |
 LAN   192.168.10.1/24 |                  |                                 +------------+
-----------------------| RBD52G-5HacD2HnD |
                       |                  | 192.168.88.2      192.168.88.1 +------------------+ Public IP address
                       |                  |--------------------------------| RBSXTR&R11e-LTE6 |---------------
                       +------------------+                                +------------------+

Scenario 2
       192.168.10.1/24 +------------------+ PPPoe Public IP address         +------------+
     +-----------------| RBD52G-5HacD2HnD |---------------------------------| ADSL modem |
 LAN |                 +------------------+                                 +------------+
-----+    
     | 192.168.10.3/24 +------------------+ Public IP address
     +-----------------| RBSXTR&R11e-LTE6 |--------------------
                       +------------------+

In the RBD52G-5HacD2HnD I have openvpn configured which authenticates against a radius server. If I choose scenario #2, I could have the RBSXTR&R11e-LTE6 to also start openvpn on a different address pool. Having two openvpn on two different IP addresses would increase reliability a lot.

At this point, I would like to use PCC to load balance the two lines. In https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PCC I see that it handles a case that is similar to scenario #1, it has two statically conifgured interfaces while in my case one of the two is a dynamic one. I would like to know if there is a way achieve something similar in scenario #2.

In my head, the steps will be:
  • configure mangle to start gathering the connections in two groups
  • connections in group #1 would be natted as now over the ADSL line
  • connections in group #2 would would receive a ICMP Redirect, to use RBSXTR&R11e-LTE6 as gateway

Therefore, my questions are:
  • do you think scenario #2 could work?
  • do you know any reference document page explaining how to do this?
  • how can I configure RBD52G-5HacD2HnD so that the connections in group #2 receive the ICMP redirect?
  • in case scenario #2 is not doable, do you know a way for the RBD52G-5HacD2HnD to use the public IP address negotiated by the RBSXTR&R11e-LTE6?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PCC with two routers

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:19 pm

Scenario #2 can definitely work to a limited extent if you use VRRP. You can set up two virtual gateways, each of which will prefer a different one of the routers, so while both will be alive, you will be able to choose the preferred WAN per each LAN device or even per remote destination if you configure more routes than the default one on the LAN devices.

The way with ICMP redirects should work as a redundancy mechanism as well (on each router, the default route with lower distance would go via WAN and the default route with higher distance via the LAN address of the other router), but it needs testing whether it will work for also for PCC. In principle it should.