Community discussions

MikroTik App

techdat
just joined
Topic Author

URGENT: SOS - Wrong NetMask Used In QuickSet (How to recover)

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:26 am

Hi,

I have a situation here where the primary access IP to a router is also the WAN interface, and I am remote (but can get local help).

This is a fully configured and operational router, and I was going over the config and observed that the primary IP address in QuickSet was left blank ... so, I changed the it and added the IP address we use to access the winbox (also it's wan interface). However, I overlooked the fact that there was a wrong netmask setup on that interface (a look at an earlier screenshot is how I discovered this fact).

An internal IP address is configured, so I am trying to get remote hands to connect via the internal VLANs to that internal IP.

So, the questions I have are as follows:
  • Is winbox available to the internal network by default ?
  • If we have to resort to using a serial console, how can I resolve this via the CLI? ... as far as I ca see it seems quickset is not available on CLI, and looking through a saved config I am unable to see any section corresponding to quickset
This may be considered my first post. An earlier post I made was never approved, and no one told me why. I hope this urgent message gets a better response from admins, and is approved.

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: URGENT: SOS - Wrong NetMask Used In QuickSet (How to recover)

Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:40 am

Never, ever, ever, use QuickSet on an already configured router. Not even with correct settings. You should only QuickSet a device with zero configuration on it.

That being said, in default config the device should be discoverable on the internal net and reachable via web, winbox and/or mac telnet. The internal IP address is irrelevant (use WinBox Neighbors tab to find the device).

Quick Set is not visible in config because it's settings are distributed through the entire config (/ip address, /ip dhcp-server, /ip firewall, /interface bridge, ...).

quackyo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:57 pm

If you remember what subnet you wrongly set on WAN interface, you can also have your local hands physically connect their computer to the wan port of of your router, configure their computer to have an ip in the subnet you set on the WAN interface and webfig in to the router. Then just explain to them how to recover from the backup you ofcourse have.. :)

techdat
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:02 am

Thanks for the responses

Never, ever, ever, use QuickSet on an already configured router. Not even with correct settings. You should only QuickSet a device with zero configuration on it.

Learnt the hard way there ... and so have the local hands.

If you remember what subnet you wrongly set on WAN interface, you can also have your local hands physically connect their computer to the wan port of of your router

Fortunately, we recovered from this easier than I had expected. Remote hands were able to get in on the internal IP, and surprisingly almost all config were left intact ... only changes quickset seemed to make were:
  • Apply the WAN address on ether1 (instead of the original interface it was on)
  • Apply the internal IP on ether2 (instead of the original interface it was on)

So, whew, we escaped a major palava there ... and yeah, we had backups and exports indeed (was the first thing I learnt and implemented).