Community discussions

MikroTik App

ashpri
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Question on VLAN 0 & 1 implementation across different MT devices

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:27 am

My network is running fine. However I have a question on the different treatment of default vlan id (0 or 1) across different products for switch chip VLAN implementation.

On the HAPAC2, this is the setting: (I assume with the port default vlan empty, it defaults to 1)
HAPAC2.jpg

On the Powerbox, the default port vlan is 0 (which I assumed to be treated the same as 1). However, if I don't add "vlan=0" in the switch vlan table, when I enable "VLAN Mode = Secure" for the uplink port, the winbox connection to the switch cuts. Now I am thinking MT treats vl 0 and 1 differently (whereas I previously assumed they are treated the same way).
POWERBOX.jpg

For trunk ports, should I:
1. Set the default vlan id on the HAPAC2's ports to 0 and add VL=0 to the vlan table? or instead
2. Set the default vlan id on the Powerbox's ports to 1?

More info:
On the main MT router, trunk ports on the bridge come with default port vl-id=1 (thus I assumed MT's native vlan-id is 1 for trunk port default untagged traffic). Now after introducing the powerbox to the network, I am not so sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ashpri
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Question on VLAN 0 & 1 implementation across different MT devices

Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:05 pm

So reading this older post viewtopic.php?t=118086#p582957, it states "Native VLAN (Cisco VLAN1) is translated to Mikrotik VLAN ID 0".

That's clear enough. Does that mean that Mikrotik's VLAN-on-the-Bridge implementation treats Native VLAN as 1 (as the pvid defaults to 1 on the bridge ports), as well as HAPAC2's switch chip (Atheros8327).

BUT the Powerbox VLAN-on-switch-chip with the Atheros8227 (if not mistaken) treats Native VLAN as 0?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:31 pm

Sorry dont use powerbox, but RoS is RoS and the same so vlan1 is the default pvid and normally is never removed or changed for vlan filtering or bridge ports.
The only time one defines a PVID on a bridge port (access port) is when that port is going to a dumb device.
Typically no one uses vlan1 or vlan0 for any vlans (they should be avoided).

ashpri
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:10 pm

Sorry dont use powerbox, but RoS is RoS and the same so vlan1 is the default pvid and normally is never removed or changed for vlan filtering or bridge ports.
The only time one defines a PVID on a bridge port (access port) is when that port is going to a dumb device.
Typically no one uses vlan1 or vlan0 for any vlans (they should be avoided).

RoS is the same but unfortunately the variety of switch chip used seem to be the fly in the ointment so to speak. I am out of spare Powerboxes and HAPAC2s to test but my feeling is HAPAC2's switch chip native pvid is 1 whereas Powerbox's switch chip native pvid is 0.

Vlans implemented on the bridge has a native pvid of 1 as well.