MikroTik App

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

VPN client get reserved IP address for another client

Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:53 pm

I have classic pptp server in MT GW.
I have vpn profil and local and remote address are from this pool.
I have secrets where are vpn clients and several users has static ip address from VPN-pool (have vpn-profile all).
Sometimes vpn client obtain reserved address for another user.
Is this issue?
Is there problem because my vpn-pool has range 192.168.30.1-254 and dhcp server ignore reserved ip addresses from secrets?
I know I can make pool from 1-200 and ip over 200 let as static in secrets, nut I`m curious why this is happening.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VPN client get reserved IP address for another client

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:37 pm

DHCP server is not used for VPN address assignments - PPP-like protocols (L2TP, PPTP, SSTP) use network control protocols (NCP) to establish the protocol parameters, in this case Internet Protocol Control Protocol (IPCP) for IP address and gateway.

Mikrotik IP pools can be used by various different services, the assignment logic has no way of knowing if you have used members of the pool as static addresses elsewhere so you can and will end up in the situation you have observed - as you have suggested for a particular range of addresses the pool should be a subset of the range, then any static addresses chosen to be outside of the pool.