Community discussions

MikroTik App

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

OSPF passing public addresses when using PPPoE and VPNs

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:16 pm

I have a fairly complex VPN network with multiple sites, to simplify matters let's consider 3 sites, A, B & C.

A & C are MikroTik routers connected via PPPoE to ADSL routers.

Site B is a MikroTik router connected via IP to an ADSL router.

All sites are linked via PPTP VPNs and OSPF is used to propagate route information. OSPF needs to be configured to allow propagation of connected routes, however this causes the public IP addresses of the connections at A & C to be propagated, this then leads to problems connecting to anything on the public address range of my ISP from site B. Instead of using its local default route, the packets are routed via the VPN and through the distant gateway. I have tried to implement a filter in the route configuration to ignore OSPF route information for my ISP's public address range, but the routes still appear in the routing table.

The only workaround I can think of at the moment is to turn off connected route propagation and add the routes manually, but this somewhat defeats the object of dynamic routing protocols!

Anyone got any clue as how to filter out particular routes from propagation via OSPF?

Regards

Chris Macneill