Community discussions

MikroTik App

MauiBotha
just joined
Topic Author

Connectivity

Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:33 am

Good day everyone. I have an issue and I think it it is just a small thing. I also haven't worked with mikrotik for a while now.

I have a wireless enabled mikrotik router that I connected to a fibre router via wireless. The wireless interface is set as a station that adopted the fibre router settings. The mikrotik is giving internet access via the wireless, but the LAN does not give any internet access.

The fibre router subnet is 10.0.x.x/24 and the mikrotik is still on the default 192.168.88.1/24. Do I have to change the mikrotik's subnet to that of the fibre router?

Thanks in advance

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Connectivity

Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:48 am

Assuming fibre router is not Mikrotik, you can not set Mikrotik LAN address to same subnet as fibre router's. Instead Mikrotik should perform NAT and all the rest. Default config on SOHO line is using interface list throughout firewall rules (including NAT) and if you stick to that concept, you should add the wireless interface (used to connect to fibre router) as member of WAN interface list.

If it doesn't help, post full config of mikrotik device ... in terminal window run /export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish, open it with text editor and copy-paste contents inside [code] [/code] tags.

And (very important): stay away from quick set at all cost.

MauiBotha
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:42 pm

Sorry for the delay reply, I only saw the response from you now. Thank you very much for the information. I am currently at work, so what you are saying is, I should add the wireless interface to the WAN members list, connect to the fibre router via wireless and let the mikrotik use the default LAN settings/subnet to get internet via LAN interface?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:22 pm

I'm slightly at loss about how exactly your network topology looks like and how exactly is MT configured. So I suggest you to post a chart (hand drawing would do) of your LAN (showing fibre router, mikrotik, typical LAN device, together with types of connections between various devices). And actual configuration of mikrotik (execute command /export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish from terminal window, fetch resulting file, open it in text editor and copy-paste it here, inside [code] [/code] environment).

MauiBotha
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:17 pm

Good day mkx,

Sorry for the delayed response. Attached you will see a quick drawing of where the fibre router is and my mikrotik. What I want to achieve is to connect the mikrotik to the fibre router with the wireless interface and from there, the lan interface/s should give out internet to the cable connected devices. I have factory resetted the mikrotik so everything is on default now.

Thanks again in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:39 pm

I'd still like to see actual configuration from your Mikrotik. I don't kniw (by heart) how exactly default config looks like and thus don't know what exactky has to be changed to get things working.

So, please, follow the procedure I described to export config and post it here.

MauiBotha
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:50 pm

Good day,

Attached is the default config of the router as requested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:13 pm

I see nothing wrong with the config but maybe another pair of eyes would help.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Connectivity  [SOLVED]

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:55 pm

If you're going to use wireless to connect hAP ac2 to ISP router, then decide which band you're going to use for that ... if you have a choice at all (depends what wireless is supported on ISP router). But since there's some distance between both devices (10m if I see correctly) it'd be better to use 2.4GHz.

In that case you have to reconfigure wireless interface wlan1:
# make sure settings bellow match settings on ISP router wifi (the authentication types as well)
/interface wireless security-profiles
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk disable-pmkid=yes management-protection=allowed mode=\
    dynamic-keys name=profile-ISP wpa-pre-shared-key=<ISP wifi passwd>\
    wpa2-pre-shared-key=<ISP wifi passwd>

/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] frequency=auto mode=station ssid=<ISP wifi SSID>\
   security-profile=profile-ISP station-roaming=disabled

# remove appropriate wireless interface from LAN bridge
/interface bridge port
remove [ find interface=wlan1 ]

# add DHCP client to wireless interface
/ip dhcp-client
add interface=wlan1

# add wireless interface to WAN interface list for firewall and NAT
/interface list member
add interface=wlan1 list=WAN

Now tape off port ether1 because it's unusable as LAN port. You can convert that port to usual LAN port, it's some more work to be done (come back fpr instructions if you decide it's something you want to do).

Make sure wlan1 connects to ISP router and successfully obtains IP address.

The other wireless band (in my example that's 5GHz band, wlan2) is free to be configured with SSID of your choice and can be used as part of mikrotik's LAN. Add security profile (set PSK and the rest of the settings), set SSID and apply security settings and you're all set.

Did I mention that you should never ever use QuickSet again after you configure your unit?

MauiBotha
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:44 pm

Good day. Thank you for the information. I have not yet tested but will do that soonest. Yes, I would like the LAN ports to give out internet as well for fixed cable devices i.e. my desktop PC.

MauiBotha
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:16 pm

Thank you very much mkx. Your solution worked and the LAN interface is giving internet by default settings. Drink a beer on me :)

MauiBotha
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:40 pm

Good day,

Please see attached my current config. The wlan1 interface does not want to connect to the ISP router. Please advise and thanks in advance.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:20 pm

Compare the settings shown in your configuration for /interface wireless to the settings in recommended by MKX post #9 and change your wireless settings where necessary to the ones shown in #9. The key setting change is the Mode from "AP bridge" to "station". I would also change the Installation to "outdoor"

MauiBotha
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:01 pm

Thank you w32, but the setting is on the new wireless ssid. The thing is it does not want to connect to the ISP router via wifi. I will try your suggestion and advise.

MauiBotha
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:06 pm

Thank you w32, but the setting is on the new wireless ssid. The thing is it does not want to connect to the ISP router via wifi. I will try your suggestion and advise.
The suggestion did not work. I am beginning to wonder if the unit itself is not damaged. I will test with a different one and see.

MauiBotha
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:13 pm

Compare the settings shown in your configuration for /interface wireless to the settings in recommended by MKX post #9 and change your wireless settings where necessary to the ones shown in #9. The key setting change is the Mode from "AP bridge" to "station". I would also change the Installation to "outdoor"
The suggestion did not work. I am beginning to wonder if the unit itself is not damaged. I will test with a different one and see.

MauiBotha
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:41 pm

Good day.

Stupid question. Did I had to be plugged into the fibre router while I did the configuration?