Community discussions

MikroTik App

dhelazt
just joined
Topic Author

Tagging Untagged VLAN From Other Devices

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:37 pm

I just move to new home, installed existing devices from my old home and everything is worked. Then i realize i need to connect my STB to number 4 Eth on my Modem.
The problem is my modem located on my office and STB on living room. Both devices separated by another room and only 1 Cat 5E connected my 951G (Office) to HAP Lite (Living Room).
Pulling new cable is not an option due the wall made by Brick. Can i tagged connection from IP TV to a VLAN ID ? So i can pass it through a single cable together to HAP Lite and untagged it?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Tagging Untagged VLAN From Other Devices

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:34 pm

A single cable can carry lots of vlans and how they are handled are determined by the equipment at either end.
So other than going and renting a large Drill (anything is possible if you really want to do it), using vlans is a viable option.

Need to see your configs (both).... to make any design recommendations.
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

dhelazt
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:17 am

The problem is my IP TV is Untagged VLAN, it will detected as VLAN 1 by Router and we know VLAN 1 is default VLAN for all port on MT. So, i want to Tag it with VLAN ( Ex. VLAN 100) and pass it to another router.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:18 pm

What you want is perfectly doable. However you'll have to reconfigure both devices (RB951G and hAP lite) for use of VLANs. Reconfiguration of both will be done in similar manner:
  • you will use two VLANs: one for IPTV and one for LAN. Use any number between 2 and around 4000. Let's say you'll use VLAN ID 100 for LAN and VLAN ID 666 for IPTV
  • let's say you'll use ether4 on both devices for IPTV (connection to router from RB951G and connection to set top box on hAP lite) and ether5 for connecting RB951G with hAP lite
  • on both devices you'll configure ether4 as access port for VLAN 666 and ether5 as trunk (tagged) port for both VLAN 100 and 666.
  • on RB951G you'll leave ether1 (internet connection) out of bridge and continue to use it as WAN port. The rest of ether ports (ether2 and ether3) and wireless interface will be configured as access port for VLAN 100
  • likewise on hAP lite, ports ether1-ether3 and wireless interface will beconfigured as access ports for VLAN 100

You can configure VLANs either using bridge vlan-filtering or on switch chip on both devices. Bridge way is slightly easier to do but causes lower performance. Since you seem to lack knowledge and experience I suggest you to follow bridge way, which is nicely explained in this tutorial. You can convert setup to switch chip later if you find performance drop unbearable.

dhelazt
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:08 am

Untitled.png
This my current setup, both Internet & IP TV connection from modem and it doesn't have any VLAN tagging. I can't change anything on modem because it from my ISP.
I'm looking for any possibility to tag connection from IP TV and pass it to HAP Lite with my Internet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:21 am

So which part of my previous post does not give you enough information to get started?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:53 pm

You didnt post your config either.