Community discussions

MikroTik App

FoxJr
just joined
Topic Author

VPN IPSEC/L2TP

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:01 pm

A couple of days ago I set up an IPSEC/L2TP VPN for a customer, this is not the first time but this time its failing (see attached log file for further information). I went through the setting several times but I couldn't identify any problems.

The only factor which is different from the usual setup I create is the WAN setup. Normally I put ISP equipment in bridged mode and connect directly using Mikrotik. However in this setup, since the customer was in a hurry on the day and didn't know his PPPOE credentials, I had to do it as follows;

Set Mikrotik router WAN to Automatic, obtain IP from ISP equipment
Set ISP equipment to provide Mikrotik router with a static IP and put it in DMZ mode to avoid double NAT.

Therefore although the ISP router is still making the connection Mikrotik router is the device facing the internet and not behind the ISP router/modem firewall.

When I test the VPN I can see that it's reaching Mikrotik via the firewall rules/hits and logs, however according to logs the connection gets established, but then, the ISAKMP-SA key gets deleted.
For some reason, a PPTP VPN works fine, but of course, I disabled this due to security vulnerabilities.

Unfortunately, the setup is offsite and at the moment I'm not able to go onsite, therefore any help is highly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.