MikroTik App

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Implementing VLAN progressively suggestions

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:23 am

Good day everyone,
I'm trying to plan an activity to bring a site with a flat LAN into a site with subnets by using VLANs for some type of traffic.
My problem is that the site has several switches (of different brands as well) and I will be remote, which is not ideal to manage such thing.
All MK switches are now the CRS3 series, some hAP-AC2 and CCR main router.
I was initially thinking to enable VLAN only for those subnets where I'd like to activate some special service (mainly VoIP traffic/UDP voice) and leave the majority of the rest as is, to avoid the need to activate VLAN everywhere on all switches.
Mostly I will use CCR to define VLANs (so my config would be the so called router-on-stick) and I was initially thinking to create 2 bridges; one for flat LAN and one for VLANs aware bridge.
However I will have the problem that the SFP+ on CCR would have to be used as trunk for VLAN and as normal interface for the flat LAN, to avoid running a second line to some dedicated switch for VLAN only.
As said the main issue is that I'm not on site and becomes difficult when I don't have access to the console of those switches if something goes wrong.
What would it be your suggestion in term of working scenario to try this out now; my idea was to implement VLAN once I can be on site, but I was wondering whether there might be something "safe enough" that I can do in the meantime.

Thank you.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Implementing VLAN progressively suggestions

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:11 pm

Post a diagram to make it clearer.
Should not be a problem to host one bridge and all vlans, plus managment vlan from CCR to all other devices.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=143620

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Implementing VLAN progressively suggestions

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:11 pm

(Edit: duplicate)