Community discussions

MikroTik App

arainbow
Topic Author

Today there is a surprise, when a 100M router is used as a gigabit? I basically achieved an Internet speed of 300M!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:19 pm

(Articles translated by Google)
This title is not exaggerated. On my Mikrotik ac lite 100M wireless router, I did it.
Mikrotik ac lite router, the wireless part is ac wireless with speeds up to 433M, and the wired part has 5 100M Ethernet ports. For several years, I have been using it as a 100M router in the office. The high speed of the wireless part is partly wasted.
Now the home broadband is much more than 100M. For example, the speed of 200M mobile broadband can reach 250M, and the 300M broadband of China Unicom can actually reach 350M. Using this ac lite for Internet routing, although 100 megabytes is enough for most of the time at home, it feels almost a little bit during sudden downloads.
I had a whim today, this router has a USB2.0 interface, will it support a USB Gigabit network card? So I found out a spare USB3.0 Gigabit network card (it is tested to be Gigabit). The USB port of the router is 2.0, and the speed is up to 480M. What will happen if this network card is plugged in?

It looks like the picture below:
P7.PNG
P6.PNG
The router even recognized the USB network card and added an ether6 interface. This is the rhythm to work.
P1.PNG
Looked at the USB information, it looks like this:
P2.PNG
There are some problems with the speed display, but after the network card is inserted into the network cable, it can work:
P5.PNG
What about the test situation? Use the router's own speedtest tool to test the speed of another gigabit router. In the receiving direction, the udp method can basically reach 300M; there are probably some problems when sending, the udp rate is not high, but the tcp sending rate can reach 100M . Because speedtest itself occupies a lot of CPU, I don't know where it gets stuck when sending UDP data.
P3.PNG
P4.PNG
Use a computer to connect the 5G band wireless signal of ac lite, and then connect to the Internet line through a USB Gigabit network card. The test results show that the computer can receive about 300 megabytes and send about 200 megabytes. For ordinary families, uploading is completely sufficient. used. The download may not run at full speed, but it is acceptable to think that this is using the 100M router as a gigabit. (No screenshots later)

So I quickly tell you this happy news, friends who have this router, might as well try it, and explore the gigabit potential of the router. Of course, this method can also be used as a means to expand the Ethernet port when the router's network ports are not enough, and even use more USB network cards to save a switch.

Finally, thank you all for reading! !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Today there is a surprise, when a 100M router is used as a gigabit? I basically achieved an Internet speed of 300M!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:49 pm

interesting

Never thought much about testing a USB--Ethernet cable in a Mikrotik with a USB port ( because I figured there would not be any driver support in ROS ).

So ...
If you plug in a USB hub , then plug in two of those USB--Ethernet cables , what to you get ?
If you plug in a USB--Serial-RS-232 what do you get ?
If you plug in a USB Keyboard what do you get ?
If you plug in a USB to monitor cable, what do you get ?

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Today there is a surprise, when a 100M router is used as a gigabit? I basically achieved an Internet speed of 300M!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:58 pm

Hmmm - it looks like ROS does support USB Ethernet Controllers (
Mikrotik-USB.png
never had a reason to check[/i] )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.