MikroTik App

atakacs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Cloutik feedback ?

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:46 pm

Hi

Not seeing much discussion about this service here.

Anyone using it ? Feedback ? Issues ?

Thanks in advance !

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Cloutik feedback ?

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:45 am

You could do the same, by essentially running a VPS and having all your mikrotiks VPN back to it or send info / run scripts.

Its putting control (And a lot of information) in someone elses hands

If you are having large outages - then its useless

Cost is not great - website is poorly made which doesn't bode well for the product if you ask me.

I'm guessing it allows remote code execution of some sort (I'd need to look at what initCloudtik actually does) - so if they are hacked, you'd get hacked.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:21 am

No serious network techs will ever use third party cloud service to manage their own devices. Thus, no discussion needed.

Its a nice toy but thats about it. For anyone concious about security, it is another unnecessary attack vector.

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:10 am

No serious network techs will ever use third party cloud service to manage their own devices. Thus, no discussion needed.
What about UniFi?

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:41 am

Thats exactly my point. In the past, unifi cloud was optional (so it can be considered same as 3rd party). Then they released UDM and guess what? It is compulsory. You can't set up the device without cloud. (therefore even serious networking people had no choice...)

Now they got hacked and literary everyone who has UDM is vulnerable thanks to this stupid cloud nonsense. Hack can happen to anyone and adding 3rd party cloud just opens another door which you can't close.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:53 am

It could be interesting to use such a feature but indeed you can easily deploy it yourself using a VPS, CHR, maybe dude, and some simple setup.
In fact I sometimes wondered why MikroTik does not make a private VPN available as part of IP cloud.
There already is the feature to register a DDNS name, there is a feature in Quick Set to setup an incoming VPN server, what would be natural is to have some feature to have a device setup a VPN connection (as a client) to IP cloud, identify it as being part of some customer-defined network (e.g. using a certificate), and then the admin would be able to reach that group of devices on a private network even when they are on dynamic addresses, are behind NAT, etc.
You can deploy this yourself (see above) but to offer it as a service as part of the IP cloud could be very useful for remote management.

atakacs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I understand & appreciate the limits / issues that such a concept is raising. What I wanted to hear was actualy first hand experience with it (or equivelent product).

Out of curiousity, how are the "real pro" handling this when you have hundreds of devices to maintain ? All by custom, self developed scripting ?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:23 pm

Of course it depends a lot on what kind of maintenance you require and what level of automation you need or want to have.
In my case the routers are all in a network that uses public IP addresses and is internally connected both by WiFi links and VPN connections to a central router, all fitted with automatic routing (BGP).
So it rarely happens that I would not be able to access a device. I do not need the functionality of a "cloud VPN service", but I fully understand that others do.

Then there is the next layer of "configuration maintenance, upgrading, etc". I have not automated that. The devices and setups are a bit too diverse to easily do that, and are not all managed by the same person.
I normally do not do "en-masse updates", due to the risk. When I happen to be logged in to a device (using winbox), I sometimes upgrade it. And I regularly view lists of version numbers in IP->Neighbors to keep an eye on ancient versions known to be vulnerable.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 am

Out of curiousity, how are the "real pro" handling this when you have hundreds of devices to maintain ? All by custom, self developed scripting ?
I have self-developed scripts to help with management - but I wouldn't be closed to an application like Cloutik that you linked - but my requirement would be preferably for source code access, and importantly self hosted BEHIND my edge, so I can firewall it and monitor it, and make sure only those who need access can get access. The gripe with all cloud products is never generally the product itself, its putting control into someone elses hands.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:46 am

The gripe with all cloud products is never generally the product itself, its putting control into someone elses hands.
Indeed. And not only because you may give them credentials that they then may leak and cause your network to be compromised, but also because such a service could be terminated at any time (or could become too expensive to use) and leave your network in an unmanagable state.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:07 am

By how that website looks, that service "screams": pay me to fuck up your router. And whoever pays them deservers to be left out of his router(s).
Thats my feedback.
And to everyone else that is confused about the topic, he ain't talking about IP Cloud from MikroTik, but about some shady website offering a shady service.
Cheers.

atakacs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun May 16, 2021 5:29 pm

I agree that the website doesn't inspire much confidence... that's why I was asking for feedback... of which I got none. I guess in and itself it is already saying something :)

Bnolib
just joined

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:38 pm

Hello,

Quick feedback : we use the Cloutik service for around 2 years for hotspots & LTE setups.
It's running fine and we like the features which helped for remote diagnostic many times. Some glitches with the RouterOs v7beta on which we are doing some tests
We have full control on the devices, and we didn't identify any security issue so far. Actually it helped us to have a better understanding on the devices activity & intrusion attempts.
The interface is functional but ergonomy is average compared to some other systems we are using.

If you are afraid of loosing control, just look at the scripts and follow the logs of your routers, because you still have full visibility of any action on your devices.
I understand that some people do not like (or trust) cloud management solutions like Cloutik, Unifi or Meraki, you can indeed build your own system in-house.
On our side, we didn't have the time to do that & we preferred to focus on business.
Of course, there is a risk that the cost could increase in the future or that the service would end for any reason, but if they do that, we are still in charge of our devices and I'm sure some newcomers could take their place right away.

ck230885
just joined

Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:58 pm

We Have our own instance of this service its very good and works well if you would like to give it a go we can help and support you we are UK based

Hi

Not seeing much discussion about this service here.

Anyone using it ? Feedback ? Issues ?

Thanks in advance !

ck230885
just joined

Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:01 pm

Oh please don't insult the company behind this platform they work hard and have a very good solution much more user friendly than other platform at least use the platform then comment they do not need a flashy website because they have spent time developing the part that matters

By how that website looks, that service "screams": pay me to fuck up your router. And whoever pays them deservers to be left out of his router(s).
Thats my feedback.
And to everyone else that is confused about the topic, he ain't talking about IP Cloud from MikroTik, but about some shady website offering a shady service.
Cheers.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:03 pm

Feedback doesn't have to be all positive now, is it?

You can get a cheap VPS, get a CHR license for $45, smack DUDE on it, BAM, cloud management! (totally under YOUR control). Probably you can get away even the limitations of the free CHR version, 1Mbps should be enough for monitoring. == way cheaper.
Cheers!

ck230885
just joined

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:17 pm

Your right it doesn’t have to be positive but also it has to be constructive my question is have you had real time with this platform also your missing the point. You say if you did this and had that then its easy i guess we could say that with everything this platform allows users to manage a network safely and easily and there have been more updates since your review and features added.

Have a great day

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:04 am

Can you go a post WITHOUT mentioning your own product(s)?

This forum isn't your personal sales pitch. In fact, your shameless posting and baiting viewers to your site has influenced my decision to NEVER trial or use your product.

ck230885
just joined

Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:08 am

I dont understand why talking about a product is bad after all this is a forum to discuss its not about promoting here its about discussing issues and questions so making a statement like i will never trial your service is ridiculous and forgive me if I’m wrong but brand awareness is key

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:09 am

I dont understand why talking about a product is bad after all this is a forum to discuss its not about promoting here its about discussing issues and questions so making a statement like i will never trial your service is ridiculous and forgive me if I’m wrong but brand awareness is key
A thread here, a post there is OK - but that member brings every thread they go into and tries to swing into how his app can do it rather than help directly, or even links to an unlisted video by actually linking to their website as a 'blog' just hosting the youtube video to try garner more traffic to their own website.

The way the user has gone about their promotion is what I have disliked. A dedicated thread to say 'hey this is what we can do' and maybe a small mention on very RELEVANT threads is OK, but in this particular thread they are trying to cross promote in response to feedback on a competitors product - doesn't add to this discussion at all specifically.

ck230885
just joined

Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:15 am

I’m sorry you feel like that i guess it is different cultures and views