Community discussions

MikroTik App

MCN
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik 802.3ad and Netonix Switches LAG / Lagging

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:23 am

So, I have an odd situation here where I want to create a LAG between a Netonix switch and an RB4011+RM.

Originally I had an up link from the Netonix (These are WS-8-150-DC's and have a 12 port that I want to do this to as well) via a DAC cable from the 10 Gig on the RB4011 to the Netonix SPF (non 10 gig) - and had to disable auto negotiation so they where both running at 1 gig full duplex. Etc etc...
I also had Eth1 powering via POE from the Netonix - and had to try and route OSPF across 2 different links.
I have OSPF running to other sites in a ring etc / using VLANS for that to traverse - that works.
Was convinced by someone with more knowledge than me to build a LAG and move OSPF to VLANS as sub interfaces of the LAG - did that easy peasy.

The issue I seem to have is that when I set up a LAG interface I seem to only be able to pass traffic on one link - I used these settings on the Mikrotik interface:

/interface bonding
add arp=disabled lacp-rate=30sec mode=802.3ad mtu=1550 name=OSPF_Bonding_LAG \
slaves=ether1_LAG,sfp-sfpplus1_LAG transmit-hash-policy=layer-2-and-3
/interface vlan.... etc etc....

(I did try with arp enabled as well - been trying a bunch of stuff so asking for help).

Then on the Netonix I have enabled LAG on Ports plugged into the Mikrotik.
Sounds good and straight forward yes?
Well, if the Ethernet port has an issue and all traffic has to flow over the SFP port / (taken off line for testing say) - then things do not seem to work right. And traffic does not balance well across the two connections to the switch anyways - it always seems to favor Eth1.

I have read the wiki the manual etc - and I guess what I am trying to find out - is:

Can you LAG / 802.3ad using the 10 gig SFP port and a switch port? ( 10 gig forced to 1 gig - I know that all links need to be the same speed and duplex)
If I change things over to port 1 and port 6 (Different switch chips connected to the CPU) - it seems to work better - as in I can fail out Port 1 or Port 6 and stay up with traffic OSFP etc.

If in the original config I fail port 1 and pass traffic over SFP(or try) - I loose OSPF and really all connectivity.

So, can you LAG across switch chip / port directly to CPU? - IE Eth 1 and SFP+ interface.

Mainly I need to know- what is the best practice? Mikrotik indicates that they follow 802.3ad - and "read the wiki on 802.3ad" for help!
hehehehe

Eventually I hope to push more than 1 gig over the link(s) - I realize that I can not do that in one TCP session but that should be okay.

I can provide specific parts of my config if asked - but dont want to give out any sensitive info if I can avoid it.

Thanks all.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik 802.3ad and Netonix Switches LAG / Lagging

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:32 pm

I had a similar issue with a Netonix switch ( no 10-Gig on the Netonix ) ,
I had a 10-gig fiber going to a Mikrotik RB04011 - then I was trying to LAG / bond multiple 1-Gig ports between the two devices.
Bottom line is I was not happy with the results because the bulk of the traffic always preferred to use a single 1-Gig Ethernet link in the LAG.

I ended up removing the LAG/bond and then configured multiple 1-Gig ethernet links between the two switches where each ethernet passed un-tagged Vlans , aka Vlan load sharing. Although the maximum I can get is 1-Gig per Vlan, I had 4 Vlans that were each running less than 1-Gig , so for me this Vlan load sharing worked.

Ya know ... All of these problems could go away if Mikrotik made a DC powered POE switch with :
- about 24 Ethernet POE-out ports
- four SFP+ ports
- AC or DC powered

Almost something like the netPower-16P but with the following changes:
- four sfp+ ports
- important - when DC powered --> a single DC power connection that supports 24-Volts , or +/- telco 48-Volt ( where + or - is not chassis grounded / isolated )
- all POE ports out supports 24 or 48 volts ( without a second DC power supply )
- some POE ports support low power ( low POE amps ) and can be configured for high power ( high POE amps ). ((( proper support for high power POE devices )))

IMO - Mikrotik has a huge void ( lack of switch products ) , for WISPs & telcos running DC battery backup systems at their towers / remote sub-NOCs.
IMO - using a 110VAC UPS at remote locations might give you on average about 30 to 90 minutes of battery run time. However , at some of my remote locations , using DC only battery devices/switches/APs , I can get multiple weeks of battery run time ( critical important when the tower is remote and difficult to get to ).

MCN
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Mikrotik 802.3ad and Netonix Switches LAG / Lagging

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:11 am

Aaa - okay - thanks for the insight.

I am still testing in the lab - but I guess I am ditching the LAG of a 10 gig port and an Ethernet port - and going directly for a LAG of Ethernet port on one switch chip and Ethernet port on another.

After taking all day to write this - I did some more testing - and if I LAG the 10 Gig port(Mikrotik) to a non SFP port on the Netonix - Lag / Fail over seems to work! (So like SFP_ ( in 1 gig mode) and say Ethernet 1 in the LAG group, as long as I dont plug into the Netonix SFP port I can get it to work. Static LAG 1s LACP rate Hash = Layer 2 and 3)

So - I have to assume that one is NOT limited by the 10 Gig port being directly connected to the CPU and messing with a LAG interface setup.

Back to the Netonix forums and ask about that.