hEX RB750gr3 VLAN support?

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 pm

I'm needing to do the following

Port 1 - WAN
Port 2 - LAN on 192.168.2.1 with DHCP disabled, using the WAN
Port 3 - LAN on 192.168.3.1 with DHCP enabled, using the WAN
Port 4 - LAN on 192.168.4.1 with DHCP enabled, using the WAN
Port 5 - LAN on 192.168.5.1 with DHCP enabled, using the WAN

But I need these to not be able to communicate with each other. All on their own networks. I found a few posts about how this model of router doesn't actually support VLANs, and I need to set up some sort of "software-based" VLANs? I'm not sure what that is. Could any one help me out?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hEX RB750gr3 VLAN support?

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:59 pm

All MikroTik routers do support VLANs, only some of them do not support it in hardware and need to do it in software.
Your configuration does not require VLANs at all, just put those separate networks on each individual port and remove the ports from the bridge.
(of course being careful not to lock yourself out, or have MAC level connect working first so you can always get back in)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hEX RB750gr3 VLAN support?

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:26 pm

You have lots of options.
The bridge here would not really be all that useful or vlans as each interface (etherport) is basically a self contained entity.
One port, one purpose..................
its at the ip firewall filter rules where you will ensure they cannot see each other at layer3 (routed by the router).
The easiest way to accomplish the separation is by putting in the last rule on the FORWARD CHAIN as:
add chain=forward action=drop comment="drop all else"

In this way all subnet to subnet traffic is dropped.
You will have to add LAN to WAN allow rule for internet traffic from the subnets to the internet but thats easy

PS anyone who told you the hex is not a great router for vlans is full of sheite. I used it with 15 vlans without issue.