Community discussions

MikroTik App

saurabhz
just joined
Topic Author

Load Balance Multiple ISP connection

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:23 pm

I am planning to setup a home network with multiple GBPS connections. Currently have 2x GBPS connections which have their own independent router and network. What I am planning to do is buying a 'Mikrotik hEX' which can provide Load Balancing/Failover for the two connections.

The current setup looks as follows:

Also to eliminate the PON devices, will use a single switch with SFP ports. Switch VLANs will bridge ISP connection to the Routers WAN interfaces. The WAN connections will be load balanced and exposed as a single connection on to the LAN interface, which will be connected to another VLAN on the switch. As shown in the diagram below.

Note: The diagram shows 4 WANs which I am planning for future upgrade once the need arises. For that I will be buying a more capable router with enough horse power. For now I will be sticking with 2 connections.
I have two questions:
  1. Is the plan going to work in the first place? I have only done setup for basic home networks before this. I have come up with this design after a lot of reading but that is it. I have zero practical experience with more complex networks.
  2. Will Mikrotik hEX and Mikrotik CRS112-8G-4S-IN suffice for this? I know I will be limited by line speed of 1Gbps, which should be fine. I am mainly looking for Auto Failover/Load Balancing to reduce network downtime with close to 1 Gbps links on LANs.

Any other inputs to improve upon this are welcome.

NetWorker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Load Balance Multiple ISP connection

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:17 pm

It depends on which load balancing scheme and firewall rules you intend to implement. But if I read this right you want to load balance and route 2 gbps+ simultaneously. You'll need to get at least an RB4011, probably a CCR if you don't want to bottleneck your line speeds. It also comes down to you traffic type.

That said, this should work no problem.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:16 pm

Also to eliminate the PON devices, will use a single switch with SFP ports.
That will only work with active PON SFPs which handle all of the PON framing, authentication, encoding, etc. presenting a 1000BASE-X interface to the Mikrotik. Dumb PON SFPs which only contain the optical-electrical conversion will not work as Mikrotiks do not handle PON directly.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:44 pm

As long as the switch is not involved in the routing of traffic, should be good with all the other caveats as noted.