Community discussions

MikroTik App

JordanReich
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

L2TP/IPSEC Connection Active -- Winbox fails to Connect

Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:13 pm

I have had an issue that just started appearing about a month or two ago now and it's sporadic and non-consistent.

I currently establish an L2TP/IPSEC connection between a number of different MikroTik routers that creates a Site-to-Site connection for a number of different purposes. Those sites all operate in a different subnet range and are all connected to the home router by different IP addresses sequentially in the 172.16.0.0/24 range.

The connection between all of the sites remains established in MikroTik and shows traffic going over the TX/RX. But if I try to RDP into a server at the location the initial authentication passes and even says its configuring but then will drop me a black screen that never does anything. If I try to Winbox into that router before clearing the cache then it will log in but everything remains blank. After I clear the cache then it will sit on downloading descriptors but does not proceed any further.

Sooner or later the connection will fix itself and all of the data will once again be available. I had this problem with another site that resolved itself randomly and haven't experienced it again since that point in time. Any thoughts as to what may be going on?

Thanks.