MikroTik App

oreggin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Large scale (1000) L2VPN HUB-Spokes over UDP

Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:47 pm

Hi,
In one of our project we need to concentrate at least 1000 customer branch office with L2VPN. Branches has various conection types (L3 routed with/without NAT, PPPoE) so we need UDP based solution as GRE not goes through all NAT devices. We trying MikroTik L2TP/PPP as it can handle MLPPP (for Jumbo frames), it can encrypt traffic if we need it and MPLS works over PPP too.
I tested (behind real FTTH network with PPPoE+NAT modem) L2VPN over MPLSoPPPoL2TP with IPSec with two RB4011 and I hit 6-700Mbps (with 70% on one of CPU cores) in both direction with UDP traffic between 2 PCs with iperf3, which is good.
Then I thought BCP would better as it has less overhead and better performance. I tested it with the same setup and unfortunately the encapsulation performance of BCP is poor. It was around 150-250Mbps with 100% on one of CPU core. Decapsulation has good performace, ~700Mbps with 40% CPU load. It surprise me EoMPLSoPPP has much better performance than BCP.
Has anyone whom can get better performance with BCP? How can I get better encapsulation performance with BCP?
Cheers,
oreggin