Community discussions

MikroTik App

grumpazoid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

ipad vpn connectivity issue.

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:05 pm

I have L2TP/IPSEC VPN server setup on 6.48.1. It works perfectly with Windows and Android but not with IOS 14.5. Have also tried an older machine on IOS 10.

I am using split tunnelling so only LAN traffic goes over the VPN. If I turn off route all traffic across VPN switch on the ipad connectivity is very problematic.
With the switch on, it works as expected except that the connection gets dropped after about a minute.

Just wondered if anyone had any luck with L2TP on IOS? Are there any other settings/protocols that I should be enabling for IOS devices?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: ipad vpn connectivity issue.

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:15 pm

... works perfectly with Windows and Android but not with IOS 14.5 ...

If Apple doesn't want L2TP be compatible with other's products, you also don't have to want L2TP compatible.
If you use Apple products, respect Apple's rules and don't pretend to have your own thoughts.
Apple thinks for you what you need to do with HIS products that YOU have paid for.

grumpazoid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:52 pm

[/quote]
If Apple doesn't want L2TP be compatible with other's products, you also don't have to want L2TP compatible.
If you use Apple products, respect Apple's rules and don't pretend to have your own thoughts.
Apple thinks for you what you need to do with HIS products that YOU have paid for.
[/quote]

Haha, yes you are 100% correct. I started to feel unwell at just the thought of having to deal with these devices.
The first nightmare was that you can't paste into the VPN password field. Second nightmare - typing manually, I then find that not all characters are available on the lovely little provided keyboard. Just another day at the office!

kristsd

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:38 pm

I am using L2TP ipsec on iphone 12 pro max ( 14.5 iOS version ) without any issue. Although i am not using tunnel splitting.