Community discussions

MikroTik App

blingblouw
Topic Author

Usage Monitor

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:55 pm

So I've been playing around with a little node app that monitors usage, sends that data to influxdb for storage and representation.

Nothing serious but seems like it might work properly. The idea is you hook it up to your radius requests, so when an acct-start message is received, your auth server sends the data to the app, it will (using the api) monitor all clients currently connected and pipe that through to influx. You can then get that info out from influxdbs api and graph it right into your management system (or just use influx itself)

The problem it tries to solve is people saying "the internet is slow" but are using their entire data allocation, instead of logging onto the router and checking only the live data, this will keep a historical record of which user behind the router is hogging the usage

anyone find something like this useful? Heres the repo https://github.com/ryanistryin/node-mikrotik-usage

Before you flame, I'm not a developer, just messing around
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KayBur
just joined

Re: Usage Monitor

Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:05 pm

Not a bad idea, but the question is: does it put additional load on the equipment? Monitoring such activity also requires resources, and the question is how expedient it is.

blingblouw
Topic Author

Re: Usage Monitor

Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:55 pm

Doesn't look like much, I mean, I wouldn't run it on a pppoe-server. So you are spreading that load to each client. No different to running torch really