Community discussions

MikroTik App

oriolid
just joined
Topic Author

Problem routing public IP in same subnet

Sat May 01, 2021 4:15 pm

I'm stuck trying to figure out why I can't reach a server with a public address in the same subnet as my Mikrotik router's public address. Can you help me?

My public address is xxx.xxx.xxx.54/24, and the server is at xxx.xxx.xxx.67. Attempts to connect to the server through Mikrotik NAT fail with no route to host, but work when I plug my laptop directly to the upstream Ethernet. The strangest part is that when I try traceroute through NAT, the trace seems to end at my public address, not the server's:
traceroute to xxx.xxx.xxx.67 (xxx.xxx.xxx.67), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
 1  router.lan (192.168.88.1)  0.534 ms  0.501 ms  0.485 ms
 2  xxx-xxx-xxx-54.cust.operator.net> (xxx.xxx.xxx.54)  2990.640 ms !H  2990.702 ms !H  2990.519 ms !H

I have a HaP AC2 with RouterOS and firmware upgraded to 6.48.2. I have NAT enabled, with firewall configuration left to default and no VLANs or custom routing configured. I have enabled IPv6, but I don't see how it could affect things.

update: It turned out that even though I plugged the laptop to same upstream connection, it got an address from different /8 block. So, there is the chance that it's the operator's router that couldn't route between addresses in same subnet.