Community discussions

MikroTik App

TedViance
just joined
Topic Author

Negotiation Issues with 2 Different Boards

Tue May 04, 2021 4:52 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I was not sure if Hardware or General.

I have a Mac Mini with a 10G Ethernet port and am having issues connecting to a RB951G-2HnD and a 2011UAS-RM.
ROS : 6.48.2 ( though had this issue on previous versions)
I am using a 6 foot cat-6 cable (tried multiple different ones)

I can plug the 10G port into a 100 mbps port on the 2011uas and it will work on auto negotiate (although 100 mbps) and pass DHCP traffic.
I can plug the 10G port to a "dumb" Netgear 1 gbps switch and seems to work, as well as an old Linksys and 2 different ISP "Modems" and they work.

The problem comes when plugging into a 1gbps port on the RBs. It takes about 15 secs before the Mac OS reports the port auto negotiation as 100mbps.
No traffic seems to pass back and forth ( dhcp does not seems to work) and the os assigns a link local address.
I have tried manually setting the ports to 1gbps on both sides and no traffic seems to pass either.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting/solutions would be appreciated.

TedViance
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Negotiation Issues with 2 Different Boards

Thu May 13, 2021 6:47 pm

Since originally posting, I have connected the 10Ge port to a Cisco 4400 and auto-negoiate works at 1gbps and traffic passes.
The 10Ge port appears to be a Marvell/Aquantia make and I have tried with several different Mini's with 10Ge ports and all show the same behavior.
Any suggestions for troubleshooting/solutions would be appreciated.