Community discussions

MikroTik App

aniecki
just joined
Topic Author

Cloud-init fails to sync up with DHCP server

Thu May 06, 2021 4:53 pm

I run Ubuntu 20,04 server with some cloud-init user-data to preconfigure my system.

It supposed to get an IP from my MK (hAP ac^2), yet when the default-network file was modified (needed for cloud-init to get IP lease) - deleting a line optional: true, still no DHCP IP lease from the MK router.

Guys from Ubuntu marked the problem as incomplete (basically MK's fault) . It does work well when connected to dnsmasq, yet when directly connected to MK router no lease is achieved in time, thus no proper time is set on the system, and ultimately no ssh-import-id as the command returns "bad handshake"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init/+bug/1926026
https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init/+bug/1924922

Can somebody help how to get a proper IP lease - first time.

Thanks.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Cloud-init fails to sync up with DHCP server

Fri May 07, 2021 12:10 am

You spend more time to useless details about "Ubuntu guys" than give clue to investigate.

RouterOS version?

Full export of hAP?

Reading the links you attached, it seems more like there is a mess with the times on that Ubuntu service rather than a problem on RouterOS,
as I use it for 4000 subscriptions, each family minimum has 2/3 devices,
plus there they are all the users of the various HotSpots that I have set up around the country to which 10/20 thousand people connect in the summer (covid aside),
and this is the first time I hear that they do not take the IP address (ehm. .. when the "pool" :)) is not exhausted).
This are a moltitude of devices from various vendor, linux devices included.

aniecki
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Cloud-init fails to sync up with DHCP server  [SOLVED]

Wed May 12, 2021 8:47 pm

There is a lack of a good doc on cloud-init. Or perhaps I am too lazy to read all that.

Anyhow, this is not a Mikrotik issue, but an initial setup of Ubuntu server networking, that is not providing proper lease from the router.