Community discussions

MikroTik App

harun80
just joined
Topic Author

Slow google drive upload speed when passing trought Mikrotik Board.

Tue May 11, 2021 2:58 am

Hello, I got a weird thing happening on my main PC when I tried to upload some file into my Google Drive account.

So basically I got 50Mbps of upload speed but when I tried to upload to Drive the always goes down to 5Mbps, at first I thought it was my ISP is throttling my upload speed to Drive but then I tried to upload to same Drive account on the same network from my Laptop I got normal upload 50Mbps speed to Drive.
Then I realized there must be something wrong with my setup so I tried multiple things

1. I tried to connect my network cable directly to my ISP router modem bypassing my RB850Gx2 Mikrotik board and I got normal upload speed to Drive from my Main PC.
2. I got a spare HAP Lite Mikrotik board so I tried to connect my ISP router to that board with the most standard minimum setting so I can connect it to my main PC and also it gave me normal upload speed to Drive.
3. I reset my main RB850Gx2 mikrotik board so now it got the same minimum setting just like my HAP lite and connect it to my main PC but even then the upload speed still got throttled to the same 5Mbps again only to Drive.

I tried to reset my Windows 10 PC network adapter setting and nothing works, the only way I can get normal upload speed to google drive from my main PC is by connecting it to my ISP router or my Hap Lite board directly.
It's not related to my host file either because if this true then it shouldn't be fixed just by connecting it directly to my ISP router or Hap lite board.

I even test by doing this weird setup [ISP router] -> [RB850Gx2] -> [Hap lite] -> [Main PC] and the upload speed became normal also.
So basically if i connect my internet directly from my main PC to RB850Gx2, then my main PC upload to google drive became throttled but everything else is still normal.

I desperately need help here because the only thing that I haven't done is reinstallng my main PC windows and I was hoping that won't be the solution because none of my other devices in the same network got this problem.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Slow google drive upload speed when passing trought Mikrotik Board.

Tue May 11, 2021 9:44 pm

Keep looking ... Mikrotik has some information for you in the interface status and stats. Check the values and compare the RB850Gx2 and the HAP Lite.

1. Are you using the same cable for the connection tests?
2. RB850Gx2 has gigabit ports, the hAp Lite has only 100 megabit ports. The negotiation outcome may be different (10 Mbits?) with the PC.
3. Gigabit ethernet uses all 8 wires in your cable, 100 Mbit does not. If one wire is broken, then you will have problems with the 1 gigabit selection. The hAP Lite will never go to the gigabit selection.
4. In 100 Mbit negotiation be aware of the full/half/auto setting. ("Full" will not answer the negotiation and the other side on "auto" then assumes "half" duplex. Massive collisions might bring down your connection to even 30Kbps)

So try to set RB850Gx2 interface to 100 Mbits/auto, and see what happens. If that's OK, then something in the physical connection is probably not OK. (RJ45, cable fault, wrong cable (CAT5e or 6 at least), too long cable, etc etc etc;...) Other things like speed mismatch between modem port and PC port and buffer overflow are less likely.