MikroTik App

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

New WiFi Vulnerabilities - Frag Attacks

Wed May 12, 2021 12:59 am

This looks bad:
11 May 2021 — This website presents FragAttacks (fragmentation and aggregation attacks) which is a collection of new security vulnerabilities that affect Wi-Fi devices. An adversary that is within radio range of a victim can abuse these vulnerabilities to steal user information or attack devices. Three of the discovered vulnerabilities are design flaws in the Wi-Fi standard and therefore affect most devices. On top of this, several other vulnerabilities were discovered that are caused by widespread programming mistakes in Wi-Fi products. Experiments indicate that every Wi-Fi product is affected by at least one vulnerability and that most products are affected by several vulnerabilities.

The discovered vulnerabilities affect all modern security protocols of Wi-Fi, including the latest WPA3 specification. Even the original security protocol of Wi-Fi, called WEP, is affected. This means that several of the newly discovered design flaws have been part of Wi-Fi since its release in 1997! Fortunately, the design flaws are hard to abuse because doing so requires user interaction or is only possible when using uncommon network settings. As a result, in practice the biggest concern are the programming mistakes in Wi-Fi products since several of them are trivial to exploit.
https://www.fragattacks.com/

Hopefully Mikrotik will release patched firmware and drivers soon.

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New WiFi Vulnerabilities - Frag Attacks

Wed May 12, 2021 1:06 am

Looks like this should not concern us a lot:
Fortunately, the design flaws are hard to abuse because doing so requires user interaction or is only possible when using uncommon network settings.
Let's hope Mikrotik products do not suffer the discovered "programming mistakes".

za7
just joined

Wed May 12, 2021 4:13 am

Statement from the Industry Consortium for Advancement of Security on the Internet (ICASI) on Aggregation and Fragmentation Attacks against Wi-Fi
https://www.icasi.org/aggregation-fragm ... inst-wifi/
Is Mikrotik going to make an official statement regarding the FragAttacks?
We know that Mikrotik is not going to replace the unsupported 9 year old Linux Kernel.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 12, 2021 10:17 pm

Did anyone bother to even test a MikroTik device for the said vulnerability? or we're just posting shit on the forums?

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed May 12, 2021 10:36 pm

Did anyone bother to even test a MikroTik device for the said vulnerability? or we're just posting shit on the forums?
"Experiments indicate that every Wi-Fi product is affected by at least one vulnerability and that most products are affected by several vulnerabilities."

I wasn't able to test as I don't own the necessary hardware, but given Mikrotik uses a very outdated Linux kernel, it is almost certainly susceptible to the OS-level vulnerabilities. Who knows how many bugs are in their Wifi driver.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 12, 2021 10:40 pm

So.. the answer so far is "no".
Ok.
Thanks for clarifying that.
Cheers!

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 12, 2021 10:55 pm

... Experiments indicate that every Wi-Fi product is affected by at least one vulnerability... (...and that most products are affected by several vulnerabilities...) ...

Nice, fragattacks for say this, has buyed every model of access pont than exist on the world!

But really reported this bu115h1t on the forum ???

OndrejHolas

Thu May 13, 2021 12:10 am

...but given Mikrotik uses a very outdated Linux kernel, it is almost certainly susceptible to the OS-level vulnerabilities...
The question is whether ROS uses completely its own code for 802.11 or relies on that code from kernel. In the latter case, ROS would be affected - look at the kernel patches: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wireless/ ... tions.net/

Ondrej

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2021 12:28 am

... Experiments indicate that every Wi-Fi product is affected by at least one vulnerability... (...and that most products are affected by several vulnerabilities...) ...

Nice, fragattacks for say this, has buyed every model of access pont than exist on the world!

But really reported this bu115h1t on the forum ???
Not sure why you and Znevna are so defensive about this, if you actually read the research you will see it's definitely not "bu115h1t" and there's a high chance Mikrotik is an affected vendor too. This is the same researcher who discovered key reinstallation attack, which Mikrotik client devices were vulnerable to. You can see a list of frag attack advisories already released at https://github.com/vanhoefm/fragattacks ... ISORIES.md, hopefully Mikrotik will release a statement soon to clarify.

Disassembler
just joined

Thu May 13, 2021 12:45 am

I've tried the LiveCD linked on https://www.fragattacks.com/ from a laptop with Intel 8265 wlan against hAP ac with RouterOS 6.48.2. If I intepret the results correctly, it succeded with A-MSDU attack, Non-consecutive PNs attack, and 2 variants of Mixed plain/encrypt attack. Don't quote me on that, though, because this level of wireless sorcery is far beyond my understanding.

Kaldek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 am

I've reported the posts by Avevna and rextended for breaking forum rules.

Honestly you two, being dismissive of a vulnerability that affects practically every WiFi device in use globally without reading about or understanding the vulnerability is poor form. It's very difficult for most people to empirically test this stuff as they do not have the skill and rely on experts to tell them whether or not they need to remediate/patch. Whether you have that skill or not is irrelevant - but if you did have that skill you should be testing and validating it rather than merely abusing those who don't.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 14, 2021 2:50 am

I've reported the posts by Avevna and rextended for breaking forum rules.

Honestly you two, being dismissive of a vulnerability that affects practically every WiFi device in use globally without reading about or understanding the vulnerability is poor form. It's very difficult for most people to empirically test this stuff as they do not have the skill and rely on experts to tell them whether or not they need to remediate/patch. Whether you have that skill or not is irrelevant - but if you did have that skill you should be testing and validating it rather than merely abusing those who don't.

I've reported your post, because for me you are an idiot.
And I say again: for me. I'ts my idea and is not a crime think different.

What rules whe have break?
Pleas report and write exactly what rules are broken.
Please provide a link with forum rules you have read.
Thanks.

P.S.:
Znevna is not Avevna
What you think can be different of what others think. Is called Life and everyone think standalone.
You also think the others must think like you... Do you not think?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 14, 2021 3:30 am

...Not sure why you and Znevna are so defensive about this...
I do not write for Znevna, but for me two things count:
>>>the design flaws are hard to abuse because doing so requires user interaction<<<
>>>is only possible when using uncommon network settings<<<

Nowaday rarely I find one non-https site
The standards are full of BUG deliberatly or not, like GSM...
And you think when using 3G/4G/LTE/etc. on phone is not equal?
What is the news?

The solution is simple, for example IPsec (with right settings, and also have it's own undisclosed bug)

FToms
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 14, 2021 11:04 am

Some of the disclosed flaws do affect our devices. Fixes for implementation flaws and mitigations for at least some design flaws will be included in all future releases of RouterOS.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 14, 2021 12:25 pm

Thank you!

czolo

Sat May 22, 2021 8:11 pm

Maybe not everyone has guessed it, but fragattack simply allows for most LAN L2 attacks. Is it really so complicated?, I don't think so.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 22, 2021 8:13 pm

The standards are full of BUG deliberatly or not, like GSM...
And you think when using 3G/4G/LTE/etc. on phone is not equal?
What is the news?

BRMateus2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 22, 2021 9:38 pm

@rextended, you should shut up already, we don't need salty guys like you.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 22, 2021 9:48 pm

shut up already
these are the talk of shitty dictators, like you

set me on foe list, I just have done that on you, and you stop read what I freely write, that hurt you so much because you do not control what I tink.

xt22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:14 am

In beginning of May 2021, a security research group from Belgium published a set of vulnerabilities they call "Frag Attacks" (from Fragmentation Attack), which affect all modern security protocols of Wi-Fi. Not all the published issues affect MikroTik products, but those that were found to be potentially affecting RouterOS, have been fixed in all currently released RouterOS versions.

The affected vulnerabilities are: CVE-2020-24587, CVE-2020-24588, CVE-2020-26144, CVE-2020-26146, CVE-2020-26147.

All fixes are published already, in the following versions:

v6.47.10 [long-term]
v6.48.3 [stable]
v7.1beta6 [beta]

https://blog.mikrotik.com/security/fragattacks.html