Community discussions

MikroTik App

paintballer4lfe
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

IPv6 - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY IS THIS BROKEN??!?!??!?!

Thu May 13, 2021 3:59 am

Just like the title says. Why is IPv6 basically unusable?????

I have prefix delegation working perfect, devices directly connected use SLAAC perfectly fine and I can even get IPv6 addresses AND delegation to work with my shitty Nighhawk router AND my semi not great Fortigate 101E BUT Mikrotik decides they don't want to follow RFC I guess?

LIterally everything in the DHCP client logs look PERFECT!! Except for this stupid fatal error EVERYTIME:
ia_pd: not found
I know for a fact it is NOT on the ISP end and it is not on another devices end like my shitty Cisco modem, it is verified Mikrotik ONLY.

I've tried this on 6.48.2 as well as 7.1beta5 and they both do absolutely nothing, it gets ia_pd error and stops. clientid, dns_Servers, local link addresses all look PERFECT, Mikrotik just does not want to actually work which I guess shouldn't be surprising? I even set dhcp options for ia for shits and giggles and guess what? Nothing changed.

Using rapid commit (SLAAC from my understanding) does nothing but sends reply status 6 and loops nonstop until disabled. Eats up the CPU while it's going on lol.

The prefix is correct and everything is being sent to the Mikrotik as it should be (verified by packet capture) but this syetm simply cannot be used at this time, or is there a dev or admin or something on here that can prove this to be wrong?

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: IPv6 - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY IS THIS BROKEN??!?!??!?!

Thu May 13, 2021 4:14 am

I have prefix delegation working perfect, devices directly connected use SLAAC perfectly fine and I can even get IPv6 addresses AND delegation to work with my shitty Nighhawk router AND my semi not great Fortigate 101E BUT Mikrotik decides they don't want to follow RFC I guess?
I have IPv6 DHCPv6 prefix delegation running correctly on hundreds of MikroTik devices. This is not a general bug. If it is a bug on the MikroTik side, it is something that is very configuration specific in this case.

Have you seen this thread? viewtopic.php?t=167039

paintballer4lfe
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2021 4:17 am

I have IPv6 DHCPv6 prefix delegation running correctly on hundreds of MikroTik devices. This is not a general bug. If it is a bug on the MikroTik side, it is something that is very configuration specific in this case.

Have you seen this thread? viewtopic.php?t=167039
lol I wish that could have helped. Literally every end device and other switch and router I connect to this junk modem gets dhcpv6 prefix and address (for end user devices) totally fine. It's ONLY this 4011 that will not obtain an IPv6. I actually know someone in Denmark with the same issue that we cannot get working.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Thu May 13, 2021 4:23 am

lol I wish that could have helped. Literally every end device and other switch and router I connect to this junk modem gets dhcpv6 prefix and address (for end user devices) totally fine. It's ONLY this 4011 that will not obtain an IPv6. I actually know someone in Denmark with the same issue that we cannot get working.
Are you specifying a prefix hint? You shouldn't have to, but maybe your ISP is running crappy equipment that requires a prefix hint for some reason, and the other devices you have are supplying it by default.

paintballer4lfe
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2021 4:25 am

Are you specifying a prefix hint? You shouldn't have to, but maybe your ISP is running crappy equipment that requires a prefix hint for some reason, and the other devices you have are supplying it by default.
Yup I've tried with and without a prefix hint. Believe it or not on other devices I can use prefix hint or not use prefix hint and still get an IPv6 no issue and obviously end user devices get an IPv6 no issue.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Thu May 13, 2021 4:31 am

Yup I've tried with and without a prefix hint. Believe it or not on other devices I can use prefix hint or not use prefix hint and still get an IPv6 no issue and obviously end user devices get an IPv6 no issue.
If you do want to get this fixed and not just whine, please stop it with the "MIKROTIK IPv6 IS BROKEN AND USELESS" and share your DHCPv6 client configuration on the MikroTik. I have never experienced this issue and have set up many, many customers on MikroTik with a similar configuration.

What is actually broken is IPv6 on any TP-LINK router (unless you happen to have a /64 prefix only and nothing bigger). MikroTik actually is stronger than most vendors in IPv6 support (including all major home router vendors and Ubiquiti), although there is still a ways to go.

paintballer4lfe
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2021 4:49 am

If you do want to get this fixed and not just whine, please stop it with the "MIKROTIK IPv6 IS BROKEN AND USELESS" and share your DHCPv6 client configuration on the MikroTik. I have never experienced this issue and have set up many, many customers on MikroTik with a similar configuration.

What is actually broken is IPv6 on any TP-LINK router (unless you happen to have a /64 prefix only and nothing bigger). MikroTik actually is stronger than most vendors in IPv6 support, although there is still a ways to go.
Interesting because my Fortigate which I'm not a big fan of, has more IPv6 features and capabilities than my 4011 and all of my other Mikrotik devices.

Sure I'll share the config lol, not going to help much since it's pretty self explanatory. Also I would never in my life waste any of my money on TP-Link.

So yeah this is the proper configuration according to my ISP's static IPv6 info:
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=eth4_Uplink pool-name=Not_Working prefix-hint=::/56 rapid-commit=no request=address,prefix
/ipv6 nd prefix
add 6to4-interface=eth4_Uplink interface=eth4_Uplink
I'm not sure if you want me to basically paste the same thing but I've tried changing up the pool size as well as prefix hint even though the hint shouldn't need changed since nothing else that has gotten an IP and pool has only used ::/56

And I can whine as much as I want, I wasted my money on this lol. Normally I'd work with the ticket system but I don't want to wait 3-4 days to be told something I've already tried.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Thu May 13, 2021 5:05 am

/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=eth4_Uplink pool-name=Not_Working prefix-hint=::/56 rapid-commit=no request=address,prefix
/ipv6 nd prefix
add 6to4-interface=eth4_Uplink interface=eth4_Uplink
Why did you specify things under /ipv6 nd prefix? You should delete that.

You don't need rapid-commit=no, and you only need to request prefix, not an address.

You can try changing prefix-hint to ::/64 in case your ISP only offers you /64's and not /56's.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 am

How about some more useful debug logs? from when it's working and from when it's not? hm? can you do that instead of screaming for nothing in the forums?
You specified some "junk modem" are you behind a modem? is that in bridge or router mode? details? hm? no? ok.

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 13, 2021 11:08 am

prefix-hint is hint for prefix from upstream, pool-prefix-length is length of subnets shared from the pool.

Mikrotik supports Prefix Delegation fine: you ask prefix from upstream and create pool from it. And share pool into subnets using dhcpv6-server if needed. Try this: first line asks prefix from upstream and creates an ipv6 address pool. Second line takes the first subnet from pool, takes address from it and assigns it to the bridge which makes SLAAC work for clients of this router
/ipv6 dhcp-client add add-default-route=yes interface=YOURUPLINK pool-name=ipv6-pool request=prefix
/ipv6 address add from-pool=ipv6-pool interface=bridge

paintballer4lfe
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: IPv6 - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY IS THIS BROKEN??!?!??!?!  [SOLVED]

Thu May 27, 2021 10:57 pm

How about some more useful debug logs? from when it's working and from when it's not? hm? can you do that instead of screaming for nothing in the forums?
You specified some "junk modem" are you behind a modem? is that in bridge or router mode? details? hm? no? ok.
If you use your eyes you can see the exact log entry from debugging I mentioned.

ia_pd: not found

It's cool all you grumpy Mikrotik fan boys can rest easy knowing I got it working. Unfortunately delegation is just complete shit with American networks I guess idk.

I set my 4011 for static ipv6 and then setup te pool manually and it's fine now. Guess this will work for the time being.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 27, 2021 10:58 pm

MikroTik can't fix your shitty provider.

paintballer4lfe
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 27, 2021 10:59 pm

MikroTik can't fix your shitty provider.
Funny because Fortinet, Cisco and Extreme networks can lmfao.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 27, 2021 11:05 pm

Why didn't you stay with those equipments then? If it works, don't fix it.

paintballer4lfe
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 27, 2021 11:22 pm

Why didn't you stay with those equipments then? If it works, don't fix it.
lol because those devices have a different purpose in my architecture. They were tested for this specific issue to ensure it is a Mikrotik issue ;)