Community discussions

MikroTik App

Adephx
Topic Author

DFS is making me nuts

Fri May 14, 2021 10:32 pm

I live about 2km away from a small local airport and I keep getting WiFi interference on my Mikrotik router. I have a Unifi AC Pro in another room and the 5G always works. I'm getting this close to ripping the 290 $ Mikrotik router of the wall and throwing it out of the window, due to the constant "Detecting radar" errors which means that my WiFi never works. I've tried all the channels. I also can't select the super channel due to the regulations in my country. I can select USA as the country and then use super channel to bypass the regulations, but I really don't like doing that.

Is there a way to make the software less sensitive, because I am living behind 60cm brick walls, so there is no chance in hell that my WiFi effects any radar.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DFS is making me nuts

Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 pm

What RouterOS version (and firmware version) are you running?
Can't you select a non DFS channel?

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat May 15, 2021 12:01 am

I can select USA as the country and then use super channel to bypass the regulations, but I really don't like doing that.
Take it or leave it

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 15, 2021 12:24 am

Quite some times there is no radar around. "False positive" radar detections are quite common. They come from other (MT) AP's that are close by, or the AP just sees its own signal reflected and distorted as a typical radar signal. Sometimes you even see "phantom" MT AP with Snooper shifted 320MHz in frequency from its setting.

Its trial and error, but moving AP's a little might help. Antenna spectrum shape (donut) must be considered. Be aware of walls, corners and metal surfaces for reflection. And reducing the TX power if used indoor helps in most cases. Non-wifi devices also can introduce false positive radar detects. Only the MT set as AP does the DFS checks, a MT setup as station never checks.

jbl42
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 17, 2021 9:22 pm

I have a Unifi AC Pro in another room and the 5G always works.
We experimented a lot and had the same results: APs from Ubiquiti, Zyxel, Cisco, Aruba and even Netgear are wirkong fine on 5Ghz DFS channels, whereas MT APs at the exact same spot constantly "detects" radars and keeps jumping channels. DFS on MT WiFi APs is just broken in noisy environments. Either you manage to use a non DFS 5Ghz channel or you need another brand AP.

I summarized our experiences here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=166392&p=817840#p817840