Community discussions

MikroTik App

jesse123
just joined
Topic Author

Is there a fiber-optic Mikrotik modem?

Tue May 18, 2021 9:20 am

Hello there, guys!

In our village, fiber-optics will be installed! I'm overjoyed!

Our vendor wants us to purchase the FritzBox (the german standard on routers and modems). This item is not only costly, but I also no longer wish to utilise things of this nature. I intend to gradually migrate to MikroTik hardware and software.

Unfortunately, no information on "modem capabilities" on MikroTik-routers could be found. Like the MikroTik hEX PoE (RB960PGS), which I could connect to the fibre via a sfp-module (I assume?). As a result, it can convert fibre to traditional LAN ports. BUT, can it perform any "modem-like" tasks?

Thank you for your assistance!

https://router-net.com/ip/192-168-11-1
Last edited by jesse123 on Fri May 28, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is there a fiber-optic Mikrotik modem?

Wed May 19, 2021 2:05 am

MikroTik have abandoned GPON, or is really good at disguising the opposite...

I do not think your village have different type of connection, if fiber go inside the house.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 19, 2021 3:44 am

No matter what type of fiber optics you get, there is almost certainly a compatible SFP module, which you simply stick into any SFP-enabled routerboard (e.g. hEX s / hAP ac / RB4011 ...) and once configured, it should work without issue. There is no magic behind "modem-like" tasks.

That would be a theory of course. In reality, ISP will almost certainly say that they support only XYZ hardware and nothing else, because they don't want to bother with too many different models. I am actually surprised they want you to purchase the "modem" because usual approach is to supply both fiber and CPE modem (configured by ISP with you having no access to it), from which you get standard Ethernet port and you can connect router of your choice.

Before you do any decision, please confirm that they really want you to buy your own fiber optics modem which will connect to fiber on WAN side and give you Ethernet/Wifi on the other side. Also, make sure that the terminology is clear - some people call every device "modem", because technically, almost everything is a modem, (including wireless mouse receivers) since the (de)modulation of signal is core of every digital technology.

I can easily imagine, this is just misunderstanding and ISP will give you the CPE modem and so far they just suggestet to use FritzBox because it is known quality brand and they don't want customers to complain about poor internet becase customer bought some wreck from tplink or even no-name chinese router.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 19, 2021 3:54 am

>>>No matter???

You know the differencies between GPON (XGS-PON, AON and other "dialup" technology) and "regular" SFP ethernet transceiver?

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 19, 2021 6:25 am

You know the differencies between GPON (XGS-PON, AON and other "dialup" technology) and "regular" SFP ethernet transceiver?
The difference is that GPON SFPs are harder to find for sale, while regular ethernet ones are basically everywhere.