Community discussions

MikroTik App

howdey57
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Best VPN Client to use from Raspberry Pi to a Mikrotik

Wed May 19, 2021 5:39 pm

Please could someone point me at the best VPN client to use on a Raspberry Pi (in a remote location) to create a permanent VPN back to my Mikrotik (where "best" in simplest and most secure to set up).

I have an IPSec/L2TP vpn already working between two offices, but want to put a RPi somewhere else. I can't find the "best" IPSec/L2TP client. I have just tried and failed with OpenVPN (out of the box OpenVPN3 does not use username, whilst Mikrotik requires it).

Thoughts welcome and thanks in advance.

Charles

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best VPN Client to use from Raspberry Pi to a Mikrotik

Wed May 19, 2021 7:06 pm

I am using v7 ROS beta5 to establishe a Wireguard VPN tunnel between two locations successfully.
I believe raspberry pi has a decent wireguard client instance!
Fast and easy compared to most other types of vpn.

howdey57
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2021 9:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. Have you used Wireguard as a client on a Raspberry Pi wtih the Mikrotik acting as the VPN Server? Or is your experience of Wireguard behind Mikrotiks?

I'm trying to use the Mikrotik as the VPN server.

Charles

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 20, 2021 1:48 am

Well, I know people in the poker world that use Raspberry pi as a wireguard client for their needs probably to 3rd party providers.
I have an MT to MT solution where both MT routers are not the modem facing router but behind other routers, in one case an MT and in the other a consumer router.
This evening I added my iphone using the wireguard app, to create a tunnel to my MT and via the MT app I can access my router for config purposes and surf the net through my main routers public IP.

Its sweet!!!
If you want help setting it up let me know.

The most obvious question you should have is WHY did I use a second router behind my main router to setup WG.
The reason is that its only available on RoS7 beta 5 (beta 6 released yesterday) and I wasnt comfortable running beta on my main unit.
However I must say its been very stable for a home setup behind the main router.

howdey57
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 20, 2021 9:10 am

I only have one router so won't be putting a beta on it.

Is there no other easy-to-set-up raspberry pi VPN client that can connect directly to a mikrotik VPN server?

Charles

howdey57
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2021 8:36 pm

@Sindy, I notice you have helped others with Strongswan VPNs before. Would you recommend to use that or another variety of VPN client on my Raspberry Pi? Should I wait for ROS7 and use Wireguard?

Charles

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 24, 2021 10:25 pm

IKEv2 is the other type of VPN I have setup from my iphone to my router. more complicated but that I know works.

zeusgr1
just joined

Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:14 am

I am using v7 ROS beta5 to establishe a Wireguard VPN tunnel between two locations successfully.
I believe raspberry pi has a decent wireguard client instance!
Fast and easy compared to most other types of vpn.
Hello friend, im struggling to make this work 2 days now without success. Windows and android clients connect successfully to raspberry pi but I can not connect with mikrotik. I tried all the guides I found online but nothing. Any help is appreciated.

MickeyT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:07 pm

On the Raspberry Pi you can use the OpenVPN service to make a client connection to your MikroTik. The catch is providing the username and password for authentication. A quick search shows that you need to add the lines:
auth-user-pass pass.txt
auth-nocache
to the client configuration file (saved in the /etc/openvpn folder) and then create the pass.txt file in the same location with the contents:
username/password

I haven't had a chance to try this but found the information on this site. The OpenVPN service will try and start the connection at boot (you need to edit the /etc/default/openvpn file to change the behaviour) or you can manually start the service with the command (assuming your client configuration file is called client.conf):
systemctl restart openvpn@client
Please let me know if this works for you.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:09 pm

Miao?! :o

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:35 pm

2 hAP AC2s VPN together with l2TP+IPSec is pretty easy to do. Plus the routers have hardware acceleration on IPSec.

Right now I have a EoIP connection from my home to the office. I bridged that connection to a VLAN. Tagged that VLAN on one of my SSIDs.

Connect to the "Office Wifi". And I am Layer2 there, as far as the network can tell.