Community discussions

MikroTik App

kashifzai86
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Why AHCI Mode is not accepted in Mikroik !!! Need to Update it

Thu May 20, 2021 7:46 pm

Why mikrotik not provide Support for x86 to work in AHCI Mode instead of old IDE Mode?? AHCI is the new Technology and Mikrotik should need to adopt it.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Why AHCI Mode is not accepted in Mikroik !!! Need to Update it

Fri May 21, 2021 1:33 am

>>>AHCI is the new Technology and Mikrotik should need to adopt it<<<
Why and for do what at "AHCI speed"?
AHCI is slower than SDD native speed...
NVMe is the "new Technology" (2013?), and is already exceeded, update your knowledge
RouterOS is a... Router OS, not a NASsOS :)))

kashifzai86
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat May 22, 2021 5:03 pm

>>>AHCI is the new Technology and Mikrotik should need to adopt it<<<
Why and for do what at "AHCI speed"?
AHCI is slower than SDD native speed...
NVMe is the "new Technology" (2013?), and is already exceeded, update your knowledge
RouterOS is a... Router OS, not a NASsOS :)))
Oh My dear..
I'm messed up in trying to install Mikrotik Router OS in Dell Poweredge Servers (i.e. R620, R710 & R730). These servers have only ATA/AHCI/RAID Mode available and Router OS didn't recognize the hard disk in these above Modes???

So If you have any solution please suggest me, otherwise I'm requesting Mikrotik Developers to make an upgrade to support these type of blade & Rack Server.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 22, 2021 5:21 pm

Direct hardware support in the x86 is limited, much better to install a hypervisor on your hardware and use CHR.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Why AHCI Mode is not accepted in Mikroik !!! Need to Update it  [SOLVED]

Sat May 22, 2021 5:27 pm

>>>These servers have only ATA/AHCI/RAID Mode available<<<
The operating system is not meant to run everywhere, and no new disk types are supported, the MikroTik target is not to run directly on ANY x86.
Use ESXi or similar for CHR version.

>>>So If you have any solution please suggest me<<<
Use ESXi

>>>I'm requesting Mikrotik Developers to make an upgrade to support these type of blade & Rack Server<<<
You really think that your request go on top of all the 1000 request done from other users?
You really think that support of your model of server is more important than fix numerous errors already presents and add feature asked from 10 years?
Dream, dream...

wwj
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:34 pm

>>>These servers have only ATA/AHCI/RAID Mode available<<<
The operating system is not meant to run everywhere, and no new disk types are supported, the MikroTik target is not to run directly on ANY x86.
Use ESXi or similar for CHR version.

>>>So If you have any solution please suggest me<<<
Use ESXi

>>>I'm requesting Mikrotik Developers to make an upgrade to support these type of blade & Rack Server<<<
You really think that your request go on top of all the 1000 request done from other users?
You really think that support of your model of server is more important than fix numerous errors already presents and add feature asked from 10 years?
Dream, dream...
When virtualization is used, the network transmission performance loses a lot

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:49 pm

Actually the opposite. RouterOS CHR works at amazing speeds when in ESXI mode. There is a nice MUM presentation about it:
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 562405.pdf

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:29 pm

I'm requesting Mikrotik Developers to make an upgrade to support these type of blade & Rack Server.

Specialized software solutions quite often require very specific underlying hardware. For example, Checkpoint Firewall is pretty picky about supported NICs. So when preparing for deployment of such solution, one has to carefully pick hardware to make sure it's supported. It doesn't matter that ROS x86 is several orders of magnitude cheaper than the "corporate type solutions", the same principle applies. ROS is not some off-the-shelf generic software which needs some approximation of an OS (doesn't matter which one). If somebody thinks ROS is trivial UI to linux kernel internals, then that person is welcome to use any linux distro and configure it according to their needs (I'm pretty sure it's not that easy after all).

ethernet
just joined

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:43 am

You can install Mikrotik to Dell R710 server. You just use internal sata connectors.