Community discussions

MikroTik App

obi
just joined
Topic Author

HEX PoE leds

Tue May 25, 2021 3:20 pm

I'm moving to a bigger place so I had to upgrade my network. Up to this point I've been happily using hAP ac². One of the small features I really appreciated is the ability to turn off all the leds since I'm very bothered by all unnecessary light sources. One of the components for my new network setup is the Hex PoE and when I started setting it up everything worked perfectly until I tried turning off all the leds. I got told that it's not supported on this board.

So my question is, is there a different way to turn off all the leds on the Hex PoE, because this command that worked on the hAP ac²
/system leds settings set all-leds-off=immediate
returns
failure: This feature is not supported on this board!

So far I've only managed to turn off the sfp led.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HEX PoE leds

Tue May 25, 2021 8:02 pm

You can leave it unpowered and all the LEDs turn off simultaneously.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 25, 2021 8:49 pm

Use black adhesive tape (or even "metalized"), that works for all hardware that I tried it on (including my RB2011).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 25, 2021 10:35 pm

Use black adhesive tape (or even "metalized"), that works for all hardware that I tried it on (including my RB2011).
Dos it work for the blue LED of RB4011 as well? Or does that one burn through adhesive tape? LOL

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 25, 2021 10:36 pm

Open the RB and unsolder them.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 26, 2021 8:30 pm

Dos it work for the blue LED of RB4011 as well? Or does that one burn through adhesive tape? LOL
Well the normal black adhesive tape shows a dark blue spot when taped over the typical MikroTik powerled (which shines a blue spot on the opposite wall).
Good enough to prevent eye damage and still be able to see that it is on.

However I still have some "write protect stickers" from the old 5.25" floppy days which are made from metal foil, and the LED has no chance against that.
(I think that also was the reason for those stickers, as some drives would use optical sensors to see if the disk is write protected and black tape would not be sufficient)