Community discussions

MikroTik App

leostereo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

any working dhcp - client ipv6 working example?

Wed May 26, 2021 5:04 pm

Hi guys ... im very frustrated about setting my ipv6 lab.
So far can not get a mkt dhcp server to assign ipv6 to mkt ipv6 client.
Weird thing is interconecting third party box , like huawei router it works either as client or server with mkt.
Can you point any working example ?
Already tryed with:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual: ... CP_Client

btw:
Is it worthy to try ipv6 with routerOS version 7 ?

Regards.
Leandro.

jonah1810
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: any working dhcp - client ipv6 working example?

Thu May 27, 2021 12:34 am

Currently routeros only supports dhcpv6 prefix delegation. set your client to only receive prefix and not address and use slaac on dhcp client to redistribute that prefix.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 27, 2021 4:48 am

Mikrotik ROS does not have a IPv6 DHCP server ( something I really wish they had !!! )
If you need an easy/free IPv6 DHCP server , take a look at PfSense.

PfSense is free
PfSense is based on FreeBSD
PfSense is available as on ISO. You simply boot the ISO to install the FreeBSD system with PfSense ( the ISO install installs everything you need/want , including the IPv6 DHCP server ).
PfSense is also a firewall, router, optional NAT, optional VPN and all kinds of other things.
PfSense can be only IPv4 or only IPv6 or both ( dual stack )
PfSense also has lots of available menu installed packages

Because Mikrotik ROS does not have a true IPv6 DHCP server, I use the PfSense IPv6 DHCP server ( and their IPv6 prefix server ). You can configure both with no problems.

I have not found anything in PfSense that does not work well - including installing it as a virtual machine in VmWare using multiple vmxnet 10-Gig network interfaces with many vlans.

North Idaho Tom Jones

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Thu May 27, 2021 5:11 am

There is generally no need to use IPv6 DHCP to hand out addresses like with IPv4 DHCP - this can be accomplished with SLAAC.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 27, 2021 8:33 am

There is generally no need to use IPv6 DHCP to hand out addresses like with IPv4 DHCP - this can be accomplished with SLAAC.
So how do you perform any remote connections to SLAAC-configured clients? There are legitimate reasons to do it. Even if client OS uses the anonymizing mechanisms (selecting random IPv6 address for certain time span and change it afterwards) they mostly keep the originally assigned addresses (either static, DHCPv6 or SLAAC) and those can be used for remote connections. But if one only relies on SLAAC, no dynamic DNS updates ... how do you find the right address to connect to? With DHCPv6 one can either set static leases (with corresponding static DNS entries) or can use DHCPv6 hooks to dynamically update DNS records after successful DHCPv6 lease.

leostereo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 27, 2021 5:40 pm

thanks for your words.
Have some questions.
If there is not support for ipv6 dhcp server ... why is it available on ipv6 menu ?
And.
How can I automatically pass default gateway without dhcp server ? how should I pass default gateway to client using SLACC ?

Thanks.

leostereo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:56 pm

Mikrotik ROS does not have a IPv6 DHCP server ( something I really wish they had !!! )

PfSense is free
PfSense is available as on ISO. You simply boot the ISO to install the FreeBSD system with PfSense ( the ISO install installs everything you need/want , including the IPv6 DHCP server ).
PfSense is also a firewall, router, optional NAT, optional VPN and all kinds of other things.

Because Mikrotik ROS does not have a true IPv6 DHCP server, I use the PfSense IPv6 DHCP server ( and their IPv6 prefix server ). You can configure both with no problems.

I have not found anything in PfSense that does not work well - including installing it as a virtual machine in VmWare using multiple vmxnet 10-Gig network interfaces with many vlans.

North Idaho Tom Jones
hi ...can you point basic example for dhcp on pfsense ?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:09 pm

If there is not support for ipv6 dhcp server ... why is it available on ipv6 menu ?
And.
How can I automatically pass default gateway without dhcp server ? how should I pass default gateway to client using SLACC ?

Devices pick up the gateway from the periodic Router Advertisment (RA) multicast ICMPv6 messages sent from the Mikrotik, or they may send Router Solicitation messages to ask.

If the RA message indicates 'managed address configuration' (from managed-address-configuration=yes) or 'other configuration' (from other-configuration=yes) the device should make a DHCPv6 request to obtain this configuration.

As the Mikrotik DHCPv6 server can provide non-address information using options https://www.iana.org/assignments/dhcpv6 ... rameters-2, but not addresses so ensure managed-address-configuration=no. Be aware that even if you use a third-party DHCPv6 server there are some clients (notably Android) which will not use it for address configuration.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:19 pm

PfSense is free

North Idaho Tom Jones
hi ...can you point basic example for dhcp on pfsense ?
There are many easy to follow examples of PfSense IPv6 DHCP available on google and the PfSense forums.
Here is one of my PfSense IPv6 DHCP servers I use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.