Community discussions

MikroTik App

kashifzai86
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mikroitk Router OS (Trial Version Limits)

Sat May 29, 2021 1:01 pm

Dear All

Please do let me know, I'm installing Mikroitk Router OS (Long term) version on my Dell PowerEdge (x86 Machine).

Is there any limit in Trial Version of Mikrotik Router OS (i.e. for 24 hours)

Because I'm getting below issues right now:-
1) Only 2gb RAM is showing out of 16GB Ram
2) PPPOE Session disconnecting after 50 use, then server reboots again.
3) No health monitoring is visible
4) I can not able to Upgrade from Long Term to Stable Version.

Please do help me and update !!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikroitk Router OS (Trial Version Limits)

Sat May 29, 2021 6:03 pm

You can check about limitations of particular ROS license levels in this document.

AFAIK ROS x86 is 32-bit and is thus limited to using 2GB RAM (usual limitation of "straight" 32-bit linux kernel).
I don't know about issues with exceeding certain number of PPPoE active sessions.
I wouldn't expect health monitoring in x86 at all. MT doesn't seem to actively develop ROS x86 and even more important things (such as support for modern 10Gbps+ NICs) are missing. If you want to fully use some modern x86 HW, go for CHR running under decent virtualization implementation where health monitoring is done by bare metal OS / virtualization platform. CHR comes in x64 version (support for larger RAM) and avoids problems with lack of support for hardware.

kashifzai86
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Mikroitk Router OS (Trial Version Limits)

Sun May 30, 2021 3:32 am

You can check about limitations of particular ROS license levels in this document.

AFAIK ROS x86 is 32-bit and is thus limited to using 2GB RAM (usual limitation of "straight" 32-bit linux kernel).
I don't know about issues with exceeding certain number of PPPoE active sessions.
I wouldn't expect health monitoring in x86 at all. MT doesn't seem to actively develop ROS x86 and even more important things (such as support for modern 10Gbps+ NICs) are missing. If you want to fully use some modern x86 HW, go for CHR running under decent virtualization implementation where health monitoring is done by bare metal OS / virtualization platform. CHR comes in x64 version (support for larger RAM) and avoids problems with lack of support for hardware.
Do you send me any good link how to deploy CHR on Esxi 7.0???
I need to test it, sounds GOOD

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikroitk Router OS (Trial Version Limits)  [SOLVED]

Sun May 30, 2021 9:10 am

No link needed. Just download the .ova template from the Mikrotik software download page and deploy it. The rest are settings related to networking on the ESXi, and these depend on the intended use case - whether you want to handle VLANs on the CHR or in the ESXi and whether you want to use bridging, VRRP or bonding on the CHR. If you want to do everything on the CHR, which matches the original intention to run RouterOS x86 on bare metal, you need an individual virtual switch for each of the physical interfaces on the hardware, each with a single port group with VLAN 4095, and choose Accept in all items of the Security tree of the virtual switch configurations.