Community discussions

MikroTik App

russlandry
just joined
Topic Author

Network Design Help

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:45 pm

Hello all,
I am in the process of setting up a network for my company and I must admit, I am completely new at this and would value any advice anyone could give me. Currently, I have 5 servers (I have them configured now by can reconfigure based on recommendations) and internet connectivity is provided via an 8 port bridge from my ISP, which is connected to our recently purchased Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM Cloud Router Switch. The bridge provides 1GB connectivity, which brings me to my question: Ports 1 - 4 are dedicated 1 GB connections and ports 5 - 8 share a 1 GB total bandwidth, should I buy (5) SFP+ to RJ45 connectors and aggregate the ports into 1 connection to the CRS317 or should I purchase a switch with built in SFP+ upload links? All 5 of my servers have (2) SFP+ ports and (2) RJ45 1 GB ports, I could connect the servers directly to the bridge using their public IP addresses, but then I lose out on being able to use the firewall on the CRS317 and there would be no redundancy in each servers link to the bridge. Right now I just have the bridge connected to the CRS317 via the eth0 RJ45 port, and have routerOS doing NAT and masquerade. I am attaching an image of the proposed network layout and welcome any questions / advice on how I should, not only setup my servers (i.e. purpose, connection, etc), but how to connect them.
Layout-Network.png
I would like to order any switches and remaining things I need this week so I can finish setting everything up. I have (4) servers currently, all dual core xeon processors with at least 32 GB of ram - up to 128 GB, and I will be purchasing 1 more for sure (the virtualization server on the attached image) and possibly a 2nd one. I have (6) public static IP addresses from my ISP. The main things we want as a company is to host our own website and email, and provide the authoritative DNS server for our domain and have our own cache DNS server so we aren't tied to our ISP's DNS or 3rd party (i.e. Google). I am free to reformate the servers as I see fit. I would love any help or advice anyone can give, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment, but we are a new company and can't afford for anyone but me to figure all this out and set it up.

Thanks! Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Network Design Help

Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:40 pm

What is confusing is your company bought equipment before planning the network?
Did they consult you?
When you say new at this what do you mean. Mikrotik equipment, networking in general, etc. ????