Community discussions

MikroTik App

mkonsultor
just joined
Topic Author

hEXlite can't ping public DNS server, but host on LAN can

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:47 pm

This condition came up when trying to upgrade from 46. The "Check for Updates" button responds with "could not resolve DNS name." I'm using 8.8.8.8 and two addresses assigned by Verizon via DHCP configured in IP/DNS. From a workstation on a Wi-Fi connection to this router I can ping 8.8.8.8 but Tools/Ping (in WinBox) times out (even when I increased the timeout to 3 s and 6 s). It seems very strange that I can ping through the router but the router itself can't ping the DNS server. Browsing and email work OK from workstations. Any ideas? Thanks.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hEXlite can't ping public DNS server, but host on LAN can

Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:35 pm

To see the reason we need the full config.

But to give one possible hint: a router routes or switches traffic for the clients. Those clients probably get their needed information from a DHCP server. (IP address, default gateway (route), DNS server). The router (but sometimes another gateway) also does NAT (masquerade) for the client if set up for this. The firewall allow rules that apply are the "forward" rules.

For the router to join the clients in accessing the internet, the router itself must have and use the proper IP address, default gateway and DNS server. The firewall allow rules that apply are the "input" rules.(ingress traffic)

The router can be the DHCP server, DNS server and default gateway for the clients, but that is not always the case. That is why a look at the config is important. Firewall rules can be very restrictive to when they apply or not.