Community discussions

MikroTik App

Traveller
Topic Author

Problems with updating firmware on smips devices

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:38 pm

Problems with updating firmware on smips devices occur regularly. The last problem arose yesterday when changing version 6.47.9 to 6.47.10 longterm. This is due to the fact that the devices have small flash memory - 16 MB and small RAM - 32 MB. Therefore, the algorithm for updating the firmware of other 16 MB devices is not used. But it can be used quite easily. When you click on the firmware update button, the following happens:
1. All packets of normal operation of the router are deleted from RAM. The router will be rebooted now and they are no longer needed.
2. The small module for updating firmware into RAM is being uploaded.
3. The firmware is being uploaded into RAM.
4. The router is rebooted and flashed from RAM like other flash 16 MB devices.
Since RAM is 32MB and flash is 16MB, running out of space should never be an issue.

Why doesn't the microtik this?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Problems with updating firmware on smips devices

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:41 pm

Why open dozen of thread for same thig?
Simply one do not cause any confusion and is linked directly to RouterOS:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=175735#p860864

Traveller
Topic Author

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:53 pm

Why open dozen of thread for same thig?
Because the problem of the smips firmware did not start yesterday. And this is not the last one. Therefore, my question is not related to a specific version change, but is more related to the global principle of changing firmware to smips.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:37 am

You can post as many posts as you think are necessary but we are trying to help folks with all issues. This is one is known and I am sure MT is working on it. So dont clog up the threads with the same crap. What they should work on is their FQT or their test processes because clearly they forgot to test updating all devices!!!!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:59 am

Why doesn't the microtik this?
This is what "netinstall" does, and it works. When you can use netinstall you do not have problems.
The people that have problems with updating many devices are using these devices as customer routers, and they cannot use your method because they want to do the update remotely and so when they would remove the firmware the device loses connection to internet and cannot be accessed anymore.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:08 am

When I sell something to the client (I do not sell the CPE, but I'm not so idiot to use SMIPS devices for that..)
I sell as-is
If CLIENT want upgrade ->his own device<- must pay me, and pay also my travel if for do that I must go at his home.
I do not worry if some security break are known or not, is CLIENT responsibility to stay update,
like other toys from d-link, tp-link, etc.
On other brands 99% of times when upgrade the device lost all config,
Like Cambium CPE with version 20.0 some CPE, after some day, lock and you must go to rooftop of dozen of users...
But I use long-term release after some month, when other beta-tester report problems,
and this happen with any vendor.