Community discussions

MikroTik App

matheusluis
just joined
Topic Author

Bounding 802.3ad

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 pm

problem port boundind layer 2 and 3 802.3ad, the load is not balanced between the ports equipment involved ccr1036 and crs326
imagen 1: https://ibb.co/ZX2QrHG
imagen 2:https://ibb.co/k6VsVcS

/interface bonding
add mode=balance-xor name=bonding1 slaves=ether1,ether2,ether3,ether4 transmit-hash-policy=layer-2-and-3

What should I do to balance the loads between the ports? I would appreciate your help, thank you

Hominidae

Re: Bounding 802.3ad

Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:50 pm

...layer 2 and 3 with 802.3ad mode should do fine.
However, balancing accross all interfaces of the bond can only happen if the application (typically the client side, initiating the connection) uses multiple threads/connections (and hence multiple ports - as IP and MAC will stay the same) for transfer.
SMB connections aresingle threaded, so this will not happen...use another protocol.
You can use iperf3 for testing....use the "-P x" parameter for the client, where X is the number of concurrent threads/connections to be used.

Edit: of course, for multiple concurrent sessions from different MACs/IPs/ports - like a number of users concurrently accessing a Service, like a NAS, balancing accross all interfaces will work as well - for the same reason stated above.

matheusluis
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:00 pm

...layer 2 and 3 with 802.3ad mode should do fine.
However, balancing accross all interfaces of the bond can only happen if the application (typically the client side, initiating the connection) uses multiple threads/connections (and hence multiple ports - as IP and MAC will stay the same) for transfer.
SMB connections aresingle threaded, so this will not happen...use another protocol.
You can use iperf3 for testing....use the "-P x" parameter for the client, where X is the number of concurrent threads/connections to be used.

Edit: of course, for multiple concurrent sessions from different MACs/IPs/ports - like a number of users concurrently accessing a Service, like a NAS, balancing accross all interfaces will work as well - for the same reason stated above.
topology

ccr1036 ------------------> cr326 ---------------------------> crs326 --------------------------> olt
bonding (vlan) truck 10g truck 10g

Within the bonding I carry ula vlan which is the one that takes the service to customers through pppoe

Hominidae

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:41 pm

...what makes the difference is what is on either side of the topology you depicted above.

One or multiple clients/servers behind CCR1036 and one/multiple customers behind olt?
One-to-One, Many-to-one/one-to-Many or Many-to-Many concurrent connections?
Based on your pics and measures in the first port, I'd gather it is a single client/server session only...one MAC/IP and port ... hence it will not be balanced accross the interface forming the bond.

If you want to force distribution accross all interface regardless, use balance-rr mode.

matheusluis
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:16 am

...what makes the difference is what is on either side of the topology you depicted above.

One or multiple clients/servers behind CCR1036 and one/multiple customers behind olt?
Based on your pics and measures in the first port, I'd gather it is a single client/server session only...one MAC/IP and port ... hence it will not be balanced accross the interface forming the bond.

If you want to force distribution accross all interface regardless, use balance-rr mode.
balance rr not compaltible for hw

matheusluis
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:19 am

servidor pppoe ----> vlan -----> bonding ------- sfp+ -----> olt

Hominidae

Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:59 am

...in my opinion a single ppoe connection will not be balanced across all ports in the bond.
However, should more than one client connect concurrently to the server, the overall bandwidth of the bond can be leveraged. But one client will simply use/receive one interface at a time.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:40 am

...in my opinion a single ppoe connection will not be balanced across all ports in the bond.

Indeed. PPPoE is protocol on top of ethernet, hence bonding policies will only hash according to L2 ... as PPPoE server is only one (single MAC address), the only remaining variable is client MAC address.