Community discussions

MikroTik App

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CRS3xx Switch Chip - which broadcast/multicast packets are HW-Offloaded (ROS v6 and v7)

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:52 pm

Hello again,
I do have a network of a 2N Intercom and multiple 2N Answering Units, connect to my MikroTik Routers and Wireless - Products: CRS328-24P-4S+RM. It is recommended to use Device Name for communication between devices, not IP nor SIP. That means communication is purely on L2 Multicast within the same subnet/VLAN (as TTL=1).
Being able to do proper troubleshooting I would like to know what can been seen by default when running Sniffer or Torch and where I have to set-up particular Switch Rules (ACL) -> redirect-to-cpu | CRS3xx series switches but not haveing mess in regard to: Understanding correctly, 3 Hardware Offloading requires OSv7, in my case at least 7.1beta6.
I'm wondering what is meant by CPU - feature is supported but processed by CPU as mentioned for IPv4 Multicast and IPv6 Multicast:
  • Does it mean that the Swtich Chip would be able to do this as well but it is left to the CPU (for performance reason)?
  • Can it be Opt-In / Opt-Out to be handled by the Switch Chip or CPU at a later release?
This question arose as I read:
where it only says:
When running Sniffer or Torch tools to capture packets you might notice that barely any packets are visible, only some unicast packets, but mostly broadcast/multicast packets are captured,
and I would like to know what is meant by mostly.

Thank you

Stefan