Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

no routerboards bricked from 2007

Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:03 pm

Provocative topic.

I'm subscribed on this forum since 2014 but
I'm working with MikroTik devices since 2007, the first ones were RB133C3

If you are unable to use the tools provided by MikroTik (when they work), it is your fault.
I am a professional and no device has ever bricked on update / upgrade or netinstall.
I'm not lucky, I just know what I'm doing.

For be onest, the only problem are for upgrade SMIPS, but is another thing and this isn't the place to discuss it.

It is too easy to complain on the MikroTik forum if you make mistakes and lose control of the equipment.
Many times it is the wrong maneuvers that are made that result in the device being blocked.
Blaming MikroTik is just the wrong way to try to take the blame away to yourself.

Thanks to all for the attention and the time spent to read this post.

FezzFest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: no routerboards bricked from 2007

Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:49 pm

Your efforts on this forum, in the presence of us mere mortals whose intellect is vastly inferior to yours, are clearly wasted. With an attitude and skillset like yours, I only see one role fit for you: the CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation, surpassing the likes of Amazon, Microsoft, SpaceX, Google and many others. I will pray each day in the hopes of catching a glimpse of the bright light that is surrounding your future.

I hope you realize blaming people for bricked MikroTik devices while boasting it has never happened to you is not a classy act (even if they are at fault).

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:35 am

I hope you see "Provocative topic." at the start...

I see that my provocative topic start to give the effects wanted.
They are dozen of post with someone has bricked the device and it's only thoughts are like:
It's impossible is my fault, MikroTik for sure is the problem.
MikroTik what are you done?
MikroTik do not work because I have committed some errors...
etc. etc. etc.

And what I want to point out to you and others, nobody is God and mistakes can happen not only from the side of MikroTik.
Register to the forum only to write "my device stopped after I did ..."
without even wondering if he did it right or knew what he was doing
and without any useful detail to replicate or guess what he was doing...

Understand my point of view now?

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:53 am

No.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: no routerboards bricked from 2007  [SOLVED]

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:38 am

Understand my point of view now?

Your point of view might be valid in certain circumstances. The problem with your point of view is that MT tries to be a player in SOHO market segment where expecting users to be anything but dummies is unrealistic. It is understandable that people less tech savvy get into problems and get frustrated, downplaying the roughness of MT tools doesn't help.
The fact that MT tries to be in SOHO market means that tools and firmwares provided should be as foolproof as it gets ... even if they contain some bugs, they should not brick the device ... ever.

Disclaimer: unlike @rextended I've had my share of problems (specially when I started using ROS), but I managed to get out of them myself. It wasn't pleasant and if I was less knowledgeable, I'd probably give up (my good knowledge about linux greatly helped).

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:50 am

Thanks for understand, but a little notice, also I, at the start, have a dozen of problem, still now I have problems...

but I have never had a peripheral, even if "bricked", that has not been able to recover, if not physically broken (such as discharge, lightning, green capacitor plague, too close to the sea, etc...)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:12 pm

Just to clarify: term "bricked" in my previous post describes router/switch which doesn't boot after user performs some action permitted by ROS itself ... either that's ROS upgrade in one of supported ways or change of configuration which is not rejected by ROS or something else. The fact that most of times it's possible to revive such device by using netinstall doesn't change the definition (other SOHO vendors don't have a tool similar to netinstall so they can't rely on that last resort, perhaps that makes them avoid most of "fatal" bugs and problems).

over&out