Community discussions

MikroTik App

secret027
just joined
Topic Author

Is this setup possible?

Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:36 am

Good day,

We have a project in our community to set up public wifi hotspots around the area, the idea is to have a captive portal that will handle the connection, authentication and time-limit the access of users. One of our colleague suggested that we use MikroTik (hEX) as a firewall device since it has built in software for creating users, limiting connections and bandwidths, limiting the time on which users can access per day (3 hours or so) and other stuff.

Is it possible to have a MySQL database that will handle the information of users? Since this is a community project we would like to have the full information of users (like name, address, contact number etc.), date and time of his / her connection and a daily / weekly / monthly summary report of all users who connected to the hotspot.

I also need to MySQL database since we plan on setting up multiple sites for hotspot. Lets say we will set up 10 sites with 10 different MikroTik devices for firewall but will only have 1 MySQL database which will store the info of all users.

I would like to know if this things are possible or can you point me to a direction on which this setup can be possible.

secret027
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Is this setup possible?

Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:29 pm

anyone who can help me?