Community discussions

MikroTik App

talz
Topic Author

What's the best way to configure a 5GHz repeater?

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:10 am

I'm dealing with Grooves, like the 52HPn.
In the past, I've used NV2 bridges, where one of the grooves was in "ap bridge" mode, and the other was in "station bridge" mode.
This worked great.

Recently, I've run into a situation where the distance is too great, and there are too many walls for my bridge to handle. I was thinking about putting another groove in the middle as a repeater, but I'm not sure how to configure it.

I thought it would work if I configured the middle groove as the master, the other 2 as clients, and just had them connect, but it's giving me a lot of trouble. I had one end plugged into a Cisco switch, and the switch shuts down the interface because it detects a loop. I must be doing something wrong.

What's the best way to configure a 5GHz repeater to join 2 other devices together wirelessly that are too far apart from each other to communicate directly? What modes should I be using on my 3 grooves?

Thanks

Edit: Maybe what I'm describing isn't called a repeater - I'm not sure. It just sounds like it should be.

talz
Topic Author

Re: What's the best way to configure a 5GHz repeater?

Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:45 pm

After the initial setup gave me trouble, I switched to using WDS, and it seems to be working good.
If there's a better alternative for daisy-chaining radios to increase range, let me know. We might use it someday.
Thanks

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What's the best way to configure a 5GHz repeater?

Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:30 pm

The best way to configure a 5GHz repeater is leave it off.