Community discussions

MikroTik App

johnt6421
just joined
Topic Author

My ISP ( WiLogic ) uses MikroTik Routers and without a doubt..

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:36 pm

My ISP ( WiLogic ) uses MikroTik Routers and without a doubt.. my router has been compromised.
I took my time and gathered substantial indications some of which could easily be referred to irrefutable
evidence.. I had only been using their service about 5 months and when I contacted them to get the
credentials to login to the Routers Admin Settings I was told they do not give that information out to
customers, due to something about "Proprietary Software".

What can I do?? Any Ideas?

I don't really want to drop them but will if I have to.

Any suggestions / help of most any sort much much Appreciated!!!

JT,
Private Label Collection

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: My ISP ( WiLogic ) uses MikroTik Routers and without a doubt..

Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:17 pm

Call the Police if its a criminal matter.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:01 pm

I had only been using their service about 5 months and when I contacted them to get the
credentials to login to the Routers Admin Settings I was told they do not give that information out to
customers, due to something about "Proprietary Software".

What can I do??
The router is your or is WiLogic property?

I'm also a WISP and the credentials to access to OUR main router/CPE loaned for FREE to customer are reserved.
The customer can not go inside the CPE to change any parameter. Must call the office and free of charge is made what is need (if it is possible).
Inside the house, the customer have it's OWN AP, and can change SSID, password, frequencies, etc. without call us.
Last edited by rextended on Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:05 pm

CPE, Im gonna be sick!!
Dont you offer the option for the OP to use his own router - provide an IP address etc............
I mean Europeans are naturally friendly (mediterranean ones at least) but holding on to your customers testicles is a step to far.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:12 pm

No, no checks, if they need something feasible, we'll do it. No user is so experienced as to manage a CPE without problems.
We also make mistakes sometimes, let alone the customers.
And then we want to give a service that works, 99% of the time that someone who is not in the trade (or works at other WISPs) gets their hands on it,
messes up, disconnects from the network, you have to go and fix it, and then complains that the service is not working.

We want the CPE to always work, without the user tampering with it.

If necessary, we separately provide a Router where the public IP rented to the customer is attested, then the customer can get there,
but without breaking the balls at the CPE.
If the client want, can use it's own router, on this case.

This time I'm forced to use Google Translate, I hope done well his job.
Last edited by rextended on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:02 am

Nope well explained and reasonable. For some people this seems to be a good option, I just cant fathom it, but thats my issue.

wilogic
just joined

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:36 am

Hello johnt6421,

The Mikrotik routers we supply are controlled and managed exclusively by WiLogic and we do not allow anyone outside of our immediate technical staff access to them. We set them up by default in NAT mode with a basic firewall set up for the convenience of the customer. If you need a wifi ssid or key changed or port forwarding set up we do that at no charge; just call us and we can set that up for you.

Also, for those who want to have their own router (so they have complete control), we encourage it. Just plug your own router into the LAN port of the router we supplied and set it to acquire an IP address automatically and it should just work. Then you have complete control over your own router.

re: the mikrotik being compromised; Are you saying the router was compromised or the WiFi password?

Contact our technical support and tell them specifically that you believe the router has been compromised and we will investigate immediately. We don't believe it has been..but I never say never and will check it out.

--WiLogic, Inc.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:06 pm

Hey wilogic, So If I use your router and not mine that is preconfigured, and I use IPCLOUD will it show me the same public IP as I am getting on the supplied router?
Or is the supplied device already getting a private IP (behind another wilogic router and then attached to a mode,). What I am getting at is
There will be NAT on the supplied Router, is that the ONLY NAT in the way??

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:26 pm

What if there was a special user available that had access to WebFig but with a "barebones" skin? Then all they can do is look at the logs to help support and add port-forward rules and nothing else.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:55 pm

Hey wilogic, So If I use your router ...
Who cares?
If you want manage your own router the way you want ... I do not write about yours routers avav but about routers/AP deliverd by ISPs ... just buy proper service: public IP + direct connection to the Internet. If you do not want to hassle yourself, you buy simple easy-nobrain-nohassle-letsomeonetakecarewhenihaveproblems service but then do not complain of lacking possibilities If you want to tinker.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:42 pm

Who cares what you think about my question.
I am curious as to how these setups work, because it appears many folks seem to use that sort of thing and then I understand better the config when assisting.
The llama has no off button, we can go all day and night :-)

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:47 pm

Please ... be more polite ... some could get tired of your "LOLing", "ROTFLing" and other quite impolite/unpolite (choose the one you want) comments.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:10 pm

Please instruct newbie how to write topics and titles, instead of broken the balls to who help free of charge giving his free time...
Last edited by rextended on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:18 pm

You quote the preceding posts again and again ... no hope to educate you
viewtopic.php?p=863311#p863311

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:24 pm

Sometime is for make a "screenshot" where often original post are changed and what are wroted appear different...

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:32 pm

The clue is the word "sometimes" .. if sometimeas is not "usually" or "almost all the time" it's not a problem but if you see 20 post long discussion which consists of several levels nested quotes ... it is nosens.

Please instruct newbie how to write topics and titles, instead of broken the balls to who help free of charge giving his free time...
According to your whish If you want comment this answer please treat it as teaching morethan2000post old newbie how to write posts. Free of charge.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:38 pm

No, please don't be offended, I don't want to offend you, I'm sorry.
I thought we were just exchanging opinions as between friends.
But if you put it this way I apologize because I didn't want to be offensive to you, you don't deserve it.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:44 pm

And then we want to give a service that works, 99% of the time that someone who is not in the trade (or works at other WISPs) gets their hands on it,
messes up, disconnects from the network, you have to go and fix it, and then complains that the service is not working.
We have a different way of solving this issue. We give all of our customers full access to their MikroTik routers. If they mess something up that screws up their service, we reserve the right to require them to factory reset the router using the physical reset button to restore it to proper service. Upon doing this, the router will apply our default config instead of the MikroTik default config and we will have access to it again.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:12 pm

Nice mducharme, that seems a very reasonable compromise.
Its a model some should aspire too.

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:34 pm

We have a different way of solving this issue. We give all of our customers full access to their MikroTik routers. If they mess something up that screws up their service, we reserve the right to require them to factory reset the router using the physical reset button to restore it to proper service. Upon doing this, the router will apply our default config instead of the MikroTik default config and we will have access to it again.
That is a great solution! I am interested how you achieve this on reset-button. Tell it to run a script and point to a config .rsc or backup file after reboot? Why havnt I thought of this before?! Save some time and grief lol

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:36 pm

That is a great solution! I am interested how you achieve this on reset-button. Tell it to run a script and point to a config .rsc or backup file after reboot? Why havnt I thought of this before?! Save some time and grief lol
Update to my question. I'm going to make assumption you're doing this via /routerboard reset-button config enable, and then have a script written that'll load the backup file?

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:49 am

Nah, that will be custom netinstall script, which is absolutely perfect for this situation. Once netinstalled, you can't get rid of it unless you do another (truly factory) netinstall.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:52 am

Pray tell fill in the gaps. I have only done netinstall using the given version file.
How does one create a file for custom netinstall............. or is this a special license not for mere mortals........

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:33 am

Look for "Configure script" in the netinstal manual

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:43 am

Very nice!!

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:07 am

Yes, the "configure script" with Netinstall is the way to accomplish this. Also, if you wish, you can remotely upgrade this configure script using TR069, in case you want to make changes to your defaults and avoid having to Netinstall the device over again. You can probably even use TR069 to push the configure script without having to Netinstall to begin with, although I haven't tried this.