Community discussions

MikroTik App

antiqued4
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Pass DHCP packets through router

Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:23 pm

Hello everyone, I receive an internet link, the delivery mode is via DHCP, I receive it on router 1, from router 1 it is connected to a switch, from the switch it goes to router 2 and from router 2 it is connected to router 3.

I need to pass this DHCP Client to Router 3, so I created a bridge on Router1, I put the traffic that enters through this port where the DHCP server is, it is untagged and vlan ID 100, so I passed this vlan tagged to the switch, the switch passes this vlan to router 2. Router two, if I create a dhcp client on top of this vlan100, it receives the ip normal, everything working, but when I switch to router 3 it cannot receive, it seems that there is something in the router 2 that is blocking the packets, the DHCP request is sent but does not receive the response, as if router two were doing a drop dps DHCP packets, is there a way to solve this?

Remembering I switched vlan100 from router 2 to 3.
I did it in two ways, the first was to create a bridge, between the ports coming from the switch and going to the router3, in bridge>Vlan I put that the vlan100 is tagged on these two ports, it didn't work.
So I created two vlans in router two, placed the two vlans inside the bridge, placed the ports that come from the switch and goes to router 3 and in router 3 I created a vlan in the case of 101, it also didn't work.

nagylzs

Re: Pass DHCP packets through router

Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:39 pm

Just to clarify: are you trying to get an address on a dhcp client on router3, from a dhcp server that is connected to router 1? I hope I understand your question.

DHCP works on layer 2, it can't cross routers. Unless you do something about it. My first tip would be to use eoip.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Pass DHCP packets through router  [SOLVED]

Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:46 pm

Have a look at DHCP Relay (a kind of proxy)

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/DHCP_Relay